From: Paul Scott on

When trying to install Xdebug from the Pecl repository (pecl install
xdebug) I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 65 bytes) in /usr/share/php/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1012
Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40
bytes)

I then upgraded pear using pear upgrade-all, but it does not solve the
problem.

If I edit the Registry.php file and ini_set("memory_limit", -1) or
memory_limit to 500M, as well as editing the cli php.ini to a higher
value, I get the same problem.

Is there something that I am missing here? I have googled around to no
avail, only getting some obscure references to other projects.

Any help is appreciated!

Oh, setup is:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
PHP-5.1.2 (Ubuntu Security)
Apache2 (Ubuntu)

--Paul

From: Sascha Grossenbacher on
Paul Scott wrote:
> When trying to install Xdebug from the Pecl repository (pecl install
> xdebug) I get the following error:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 65 bytes) in /usr/share/php/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1012
> Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40
> bytes)
>
> I then upgraded pear using pear upgrade-all, but it does not solve the
> problem.
>
> If I edit the Registry.php file and ini_set("memory_limit", -1) or
> memory_limit to 500M, as well as editing the cli php.ini to a higher
> value, I get the same problem.
>
> Is there something that I am missing here? I have googled around to no
> avail, only getting some obscure references to other projects.

Hello

Some of the listed solutions in this bug report should solve your problem.
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/php5/+bug/63655

Greetings
Sascha