From: Pete Ford on
Hi All,

I have a web project built in PHP which we want to break out part of into a
stand-alone GUI program. The architecture is fine - display nicely separated
from logic, so coding is not a problem.
What I can't work out is what to use for the GUI part. I looked at phpqt but I
can't (yet) get that to build on my Linux dev system, let alone code an
interface with it. I was also looking a PHP-GTK2, but I'm not sure how
cross-platform it would be - this should run on Windows and Macs as well as Linux...

Anyone made a GUI PHP application like this, with one of the major toolkits?

Cheers
Pete
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 15:30 +0100, Pete Ford wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a web project built in PHP which we want to break out part of into a
> stand-alone GUI program. The architecture is fine - display nicely separated
> from logic, so coding is not a problem.
> What I can't work out is what to use for the GUI part. I looked at phpqt but I
> can't (yet) get that to build on my Linux dev system, let alone code an
> interface with it. I was also looking a PHP-GTK2, but I'm not sure how
> cross-platform it would be - this should run on Windows and Macs as well as Linux...
>
> Anyone made a GUI PHP application like this, with one of the major toolkits?
>
> Cheers
> Pete

I think as far as compatibility goes, QT is your best bet. What is
preventing you from getting that build onto your dev system?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Pete Ford on
On 31/03/10 15:30, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 15:30 +0100, Pete Ford wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a web project built in PHP which we want to break out part of into a
>> stand-alone GUI program. The architecture is fine - display nicely separated
>> from logic, so coding is not a problem.
>> What I can't work out is what to use for the GUI part. I looked at phpqt but I
>> can't (yet) get that to build on my Linux dev system, let alone code an
>> interface with it. I was also looking a PHP-GTK2, but I'm not sure how
>> cross-platform it would be - this should run on Windows and Macs as well as Linux...
>>
>> Anyone made a GUI PHP application like this, with one of the major toolkits?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Pete
>>

> I think as far as compatibility goes, QT is your best bet. What is
> preventing you from getting that build onto your dev system?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Two pints at lunchtime, mainly :)

I need to focus on it a bit better: I'll have another look and ask again if I
still have trouble.

Cheers
Pete
From: Richard Quadling on
On 31 March 2010 15:48, Pete Ford <pete(a)justcroft.com> wrote:
> Two pints at lunchtime, mainly :)

Excellent reason to not do any coding today.

Makes tomorrow less of a "revert commit" day.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Pete Ford on
On 31/03/10 15:30, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 15:30 +0100, Pete Ford wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a web project built in PHP which we want to break out part of into
>> a stand-alone GUI program. The architecture is fine - display nicely
>> separated from logic, so coding is not a problem. What I can't work out is
>> what to use for the GUI part. I looked at phpqt but I can't (yet) get that
>> to build on my Linux dev system, let alone code an interface with it. I was
>> also looking a PHP-GTK2, but I'm not sure how cross-platform it would be -
>> this should run on Windows and Macs as well as Linux...
>>
>> Anyone made a GUI PHP application like this, with one of the major
>> toolkits?
>>
>> Cheers Pete
>>

> I think as far as compatibility goes, QT is your best bet. What is preventing
> you from getting that build onto your dev system?
>
> Thanks, Ash http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Not all down to the beer.
I unpacked the php-qt-0.9.tar.gz and made a build directory in there, ran cmake
(which seemed to go OK), but make fails at
[ 8%] Building CXX object smoke/qt/CMakeFiles/smokeqt.dir/x_2.o

with a bunch of errors like

/home/pete/phpqt/build/smoke/qt/x_2.cpp: In static member function 'static void
x_QAccessibleBridgeFactoryInterface::x_0(Smoke::StackItem*)':
/home/pete/phpqt/build/smoke/qt/x_2.cpp:167: error: cannot allocate an object of
abstract type 'x_QAccessibleBridgeFactoryInterface'
/home/pete/phpqt/build/smoke/qt/x_2.cpp:163: note: because the following
virtual functions are pure within 'x_QAccessibleBridgeFactoryInterface':
/usr/include/QtCore/qfactoryinterface.h:53: note: virtual QStringList
QFactoryInterface::keys() const

I'm building on an OpenSuSE 11.1 system, but looking around it seems that Fedora
12 has a php-qt package, so I'm putting together a VM to try it on there...

If you have any light to shed, then let me know. The php-qt mailing list seems a
bit empty at the moment...

Cheers
Pete