From: mark gross on
On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 09:23:10AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 21:07 -0700, Arve Hj�nnev�g wrote:

> > > Agreed.
> > >

> > No, a hash is used for quick lookup of a specific value, not to find
> > an extreme value.
>
> If you only have N possible values an N bucket hash list is rather
> efficient (provided N is small). But I would agree that knowing what N
> is represents an API change, and since plists can do this without
> changing the API, they're better.
>
> > It is however extremely similar to plists. The only
> > difference is that plists link all the secondary lists together.
>
> Right, so they would solve the *current* problem exactly.
>
> > If we
> > want to have constraints that autoexpire, then keeping the secondary
> > lists separate allows the same optimization as I did for
> > wakelock/suspend_blocker timeouts where no timer is active if an
> > (equal or stricter) non-expiring constraint is active.
>
> But this is a future discussion and not part of the patch. The way open
> source works is that we sort out the best implementation for the current
> conditions. If the implementation has to change because of future
> stuff, then we change it when the future stuff comes along. Changing
> implementations is easy (they don't have any externally visible impact).
> Changing the in-kernel API is slightly harder, but easily doable. It's
> only changing the user visible ABI that we worry about and try not to
> do.

True.

The following is what I think I'll work on this weekend. (hopefully
have some sort of patch that at least compiles...)

Changes to pm_qos to enable "wakelock" or "suspend blocker" support:

Requirements:
1) atomic context support.
2) make updating request fast enough for hot path users.
3) Add a request class for "interactive_suspend", this particular
request has a dynamic range of 1 (its 0 or 1). If zero then ok to auto
suspend, if 1 then only user driven suspend. Whenever the aggregate
request changes value the registered notifiers are called.

Implementation:
* change api to have caller allocated the qos request structures. (solve
the kalloc issue)
* add plist use for constraint classes with hash-able dynamic ranges
* consider auto hashing / plist-ing everything. (most users of pm_qos
don't do any fancy stuff and tend to request the only 2 different
values, ever) but for now only request with dynamic range of 0,1 will
get the fancy lists.

I think the rest are implementation details.

--mgross

From: mark gross on
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 09:07:32PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday 05 June 2010, mark gross wrote:

> > > If you only have N possible values an N bucket hash list is rather
> > > efficient (provided N is small). But I would agree that knowing what N
> > > is represents an API change, and since plists can do this without
> > > changing the API, they're better.

> > > Right, so they would solve the *current* problem exactly.

> > > But this is a future discussion and not part of the patch. The way open
> > > source works is that we sort out the best implementation for the current
> > > conditions. If the implementation has to change because of future
> > > stuff, then we change it when the future stuff comes along. Changing
> > > implementations is easy (they don't have any externally visible impact).
> > > Changing the in-kernel API is slightly harder, but easily doable. It's
> > > only changing the user visible ABI that we worry about and try not to
> > > do.
> > >

> > True.
> >
> > The following is what I think I'll work on this weekend. (hopefully
> > have some sort of patch that at least compiles...)
> >

> > Changes to pm_qos to enable "wakelock" or "suspend blocker" support:
> >
> > Requirements:
> > 1) atomic context support.
> > 2) make updating request fast enough for hot path users.
> > 3) Add a request class for "interactive_suspend", this particular
> > request has a dynamic range of 1 (its 0 or 1). If zero then ok to auto
> > suspend, if 1 then only user driven suspend. Whenever the aggregate
> > request changes value the registered notifiers are called.
> >

> > Implementation:
> > * change api to have caller allocated the qos request structures. (solve
> > the kalloc issue)
> > * add plist use for constraint classes with hash-able dynamic ranges
>
> Please have a look at the patch James posted earlier today on linux-pm,
> you were CCed.

I like James' post. I'm sorry I missed it before I sent this note, but
I'm really glad he's posted it. Now I can do some testing.

--mgross