From: robin on
"Lynn McGuire" <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote in message news:i0do2r$pt4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
|> There are many Fortran compilers written in C, as far as I know,
| > no C compilers written in Fortran.
|
| If the old Prime computers had a C compiler, it was probably
| written in Fortran. The whole operating system was written in
| a heavily extended fortran 66 until the 198? release which was
| rewritten in PL/1.

That's interesting.

From: Mark Stevens on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:34:21 +1000, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au>
wrote:

>"Lynn McGuire" <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote in message news:i0do2r$pt4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>|> There are many Fortran compilers written in C, as far as I know,
>| > no C compilers written in Fortran.
>|
>| If the old Prime computers had a C compiler, it was probably
>| written in Fortran. The whole operating system was written in
>| a heavily extended fortran 66 until the 198? release which was
>| rewritten in PL/1.

Salford's FORTRAN 77 compiler for the Prime was written in Fortran and
I believe that their Prolog compiler was also written in Fortran.

Cheers,
Mark
--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!

Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

This message is provided "as is".

Pages: 1
Prev: variant data type
Next: An interesting new RNG.