From: aminer on

Hello,

I am still thinking and using logic...

I can add the following rules also:

[5] IF you are using a critical section or spinlock and there is
a high contention- with many threads - on them THEN there is a
possibility of a Lock convoy. Due to the fact that the thread
entering the spinlock or critical section may context switch
and this will add to the service time - and to the S (serial part)
of the Amdahl's equation - and this will higher the contention and
create a possibility of a Lock convoy and to a bad scalability.

We can elevate the problem in [5] by using a Mutex or a Semaphore
around the crital section or the spinlock...

Another rule now..

[6] If there is contention on a lock - a critical section ... -
and inside the locked sections you are the I/O - example
loging a message to a file - this will lead the calling thread
block on the I/O and the operating system will deschedule
the blocked thread until the I/O completes, thus this situation
will lead to more context switching, and therefore to an increased
service time , and longer service times, in this case, means
more lock contention, and more lock contention means a bad
scalability.

there is also false sharing etc.

IF you follow and base your reasonning on those theorems
- or laws or true propositions or good patterns - like rules or
theorems [1] , [2] , [3], [4] , [5], [6]... - THEN your will construct
a model
that will be much more CORRECT and EFFICIENT.

And it is one of my preferred methodology in programming.

I will try to add more of those rules , theorems , laws...
in next time...

Sincerely,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

From: aminer on

Skybuck wrote:

>Some notes/pointers:

>1. The adventage of "blocking locks" on windows is that it doesn't consume
>so much cpu (?) when it's waiting... this leads to lower cpu temperatures.

>2. Nowadays I want to make my programs run as "cold" as possible to save the
>system from overheat death.

>3. Spinlocks make the cpu run hot and there is bad ?! Unless very maybe the
>blocking scenerio would be worse, but that needs to be proven first.

Read carefully:

"The worker threads enters in a wait state when there is
no job in the lock-free queues - for more efficiency -"

http://pages.videotron.com/aminer/threadpool.htm

So, my Thread Pool Engine doesn't consume any CPU when
there is no job in the queues , and this leads to lower
cpu temperatures.

:)

Sincerely,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.