From: dagmargoodboat on
I never parallel rectifiers -- that's asking for thermal runaway.
But, here, OnSemi says it's cool, even necessary to get full rating:

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MBR20200CTG

I guess those are matched with matched drops, so runaway won't be a
problem. Hmm.

I need a >5A 40V diode (to carry 4A d.c.), preferably surface mount.

OTOH, that's gonna dissipate ~3W. Ouch. So it has to have a meaty
package, and it needs some heat-spreading foil. Yuck.

Might just use a FET instead, if permitted (it's not my call).

--
Cheers,
James Arthur
From: Grant on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:28:09 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>I never parallel rectifiers -- that's asking for thermal runaway.
>But, here, OnSemi says it's cool, even necessary to get full rating:
>
>http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MBR20200CTG
>
>I guess those are matched with matched drops, so runaway won't be a
>problem. Hmm.
>
>I need a >5A 40V diode (to carry 4A d.c.), preferably surface mount.

Parallel some 3A diodes? I've often paralleled them, seems a common
thing to do, in that I see it often in stuff I dismantle.

>OTOH, that's gonna dissipate ~3W. Ouch. So it has to have a meaty
>package, and it needs some heat-spreading foil. Yuck.

Another reason for paralleling is to get the smaller on voltage.

>Might just use a FET instead, if permitted (it's not my call).

Grant.
From: Hammy on

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:28:09 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I never parallel rectifiers -- that's asking for thermal runaway.
>>But, here, OnSemi says it's cool, even necessary to get full rating:
>>
>>http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MBR20200CTG
>>
>>I guess those are matched with matched drops, so runaway won't be a
>>problem. Hmm.
>>
>>I need a >5A 40V diode (to carry 4A d.c.), preferably surface mount.
>
>Parallel some 3A diodes? I've often paralleled them, seems a common
>thing to do, in that I see it often in stuff I dismantle.
>>
>>OTOH, that's gonna dissipate ~3W. Ouch. So it has to have a meaty
>>package, and it needs some heat-spreading foil. Yuck.
>
>Another reason for paralleling is to get the smaller on voltage.
>>
>>Might just use a FET instead, if permitted (it's not my call).
>
>Grant.

For 4A dc what's wrong with anyone of the several DPAK or D2PAK.

Here's just one shows less then 2W dissipation for 4ADC.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/94266/94266.pdf

If you want Vishays got some new SCHOTTKY's in a new package 5A
devices.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/88988/ss5p5.pdf

You would defiantly need to use two of them.
From: Uwe Hercksen on

dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com schrieb:

> I never parallel rectifiers -- that's asking for thermal runaway.
> But, here, OnSemi says it's cool, even necessary to get full rating:
>
> http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MBR20200CTG
>
> I guess those are matched with matched drops, so runaway won't be a
> problem. Hmm.

Hello,

they are within the same case, therefore they should have nearly the
same temperature.

I saw a high current rectifier built with a lot of parallel diodes
mounted on an large heatsink. Series resistors for equal current
distribution might be necessary.

Bye

From: dagmargoodboat on
On Jul 22, 6:24 pm, Hammy <s...(a)spam.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:28:09 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodb...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >>I never parallel rectifiers -- that's asking for thermal runaway.
> >>But, here, OnSemi says it's cool, even necessary to get full rating:
>
> >>http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MBR20200CTG
>
> >>I guess those are matched with matched drops, so runaway won't be a
> >>problem.  Hmm.
>
> >>I need a >5A 40V diode (to carry 4A d.c.), preferably surface mount.
>
> >Parallel some 3A diodes?  I've often paralleled them, seems a common
> >thing to do, in that I see it often in stuff I dismantle.
>
> >>OTOH, that's gonna dissipate ~3W.  Ouch.  So it has to have a meaty
> >>package, and it needs some heat-spreading foil.  Yuck.
>
> >Another reason for paralleling is to get the smaller on voltage.
>
> >>Might just use a FET instead, if permitted (it's not my call).
>
> >Grant.
>
> For 4A dc what's wrong with anyone of the several DPAK or D2PAK.
>
> Here's just one shows less then 2W dissipation for 4ADC.
>
> http://www.vishay.com/docs/94266/94266.pdf

Thanks, that's not bad. Better than the parts I'd looked at.

It seems, basically, I can do it with a schottky for about 2W. I can
get about 50ºC/W with 200mm^2 copper, for Tj=Ta+100ºC, or about 150ºC
in my case. Tj(max) = 150-175ºC, depending on the device.

The Vishay 8TQ080 (8A 80V) device above shows an "average" power loss
of 1.6-1.7W @ 4A (Fig. 6), giving a rise of 85ºC and Tj=135ºC. That's
better, but those parameters aren't guaranteed, so I can't rely on
them.

So, it works, but it bugs me to run dice that hot.

This time I had to grunt out something that worked on the spot, so I
went with a P-FET, worst-case dissipation = 1.2W, worst-case rise =
60ºC, Tj=110ºC.

But, you gave me food for thought for sure. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur