From: Srivatsa Vaddagiri on
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:18:58AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> >I tried to refactor Xen's spinlock
> >implementation to make it common for both Xen and KVM - but found that
> >few differences between Xen and KVM (Xen has the ability to block on a
> >particular event/irq for example) _and_ the fact that the guest kernel
> >can be compiled to support both Xen and KVM hypervisors (CONFIG_XEN and
> >CONFIG_KVM_GUEST can both be turned on) makes the "common" code a eye-sore.
> >There will have to be:
> >
> > if (xen) {
> > } else if (kvm) {
> > ..
> > }
> >
> >or possibly:
> >
> > alternative(NOP, some_xen_specific_call, ....)
> >
> >type of code in the common implementation.
>
> No, that doesn't look like a good approach. It suggests the
> apparently commonality isn't really there.
>
> >For the time-being, I have made this KVM-specific only. At somepoint in future,
> >I hope this can be made common between Xen/KVM.
>
> Did you see the patch series I posted a couple of weeks ago to
> revamp pv spinlocks? Specifically, I dropped the notion of pv
> spinlocks in which the entire spinlock implementation is replaced,
> and added pv ticketlocks where the ticketlock algorithm is always
> used for the fastpath, but it calls out to pvop calls for the
> slowpath (a long spin, or unlocking a lock with waiters). It
> significantly reduces the amount of hypervisor-specific code.

Hmmm interesting - I will go thr' it in detail.

> You can see the current patches in
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
> xen/pvticketlock-git

[snip]

> That's not actually the real problem. It's *a* problem, but
> insignificant compared to the ticketlock-specific "next-in-line vcpu
> scheduler bunfight" problem - lock holder preemption is a misnomer.
> Fortunately the solutions to both are (nearly) the same.
>
> See Thomas Friebel's talk "Prevent Guests from Spinning Around
> (http://www.xen.org/files/xensummitboston08/LHP.pdf).

Yes I had seen Thomas's slides reporting huge degradation in performance with
tick spinlock.

> >b. Avoid preempting a lock-holder while its holding a (spin-) lock.
> >
> > In this scheme, guest OS can hint (set some flag in memory shared with
> > hypervisor) whenever its holding a lock and hypervisor could defer preempting
> > the guest vcpu when its holding a lock. With this scheme, we should never
> > have a lock-acquiring vcpu spin on a preempted vcpu to release its lock. If
> > ever it spins, its because somebody *currently running* is holding the lock -
> > and hence it won't have to spin-wait too long. IOW we are pro-actively
> > trying to prevent the LHP problem from occuring in the first place. This
> > should improve job turnaround time for some workloads. [1] has some
> > results based on this approach.
>
> This doesn't actually help the problem mentioned above, because it's
> not a problem with the lock holder getting preempted, but what
> happens once the lock has been released.

Good point. I agree that the latter problem needs more attention, given a
ticket-type implementation of spinlocks. Have you considered possible solutions
for unmodified guests, which have similar ticket-type lock implementations?
Not sure if that's important enough to investigate solutions like gang
scheduling ..

- vatsa