From: Michael Fellinger on
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:15 AM, 12 34 <rubyforum(a)web.knobby.ws> wrote:
> Michael
>
> Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this. I had looked a
> couple of my Ruby books and was finding nothing. I was ready to really
> dig in this morning, but obviously would not have found the answer.
>
> If you want a beta tester I'm in. I'm not a programmer of any kind and
> can only write basic Ruby with lots of help. If you decide to go ahead
> you might look at gps2photo and ExifTool. Another thing to consider is
> what source is being used and offering alternatives. I think ExifTool
> does this I think. We do need more mature gems to match what's available
> in perl.

I'm well along, will put the code up on GitHub today.
I'm using the JSON API, since it makes the code even simpler.

--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC

From: Michael Fellinger on

It's not very polished yet, but since I said I'd push today:
http://github.com/manveru/geonames

--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC

From: 12 34 on
Michael Fellinger wrote:
>> If you want a beta tester I'm in.
>
> It's not very polished yet, but since I said I'd push today:
> http://github.com/manveru/geonames

OK, I'm a relative newbie. How do I use it? Just include the geonames.rb
file? Please give a sample of how to call it.

Should it be installed as a gem? If so how? I guess a bigger question is
how does ruby sort out three gems named geonames? The last one
installed? elecnix being the third.

Just looked at my gems and could drag in your version. I assume Ruby
just looks in the folder and doesn't keep any registration file?

Thanks for pushing this out. And as far as I'm concerned I'll be fairly
tied up through the weekend, so take your time.

From: 12 34 on
One minor comment. I'm more used to seeing lon than lng.

Is there a way to get DST given lat lon and the date? isdst exists in
Ruby, but AFAIK is only for local current time.

Is there a way to get the state or province?

From: Michael Fellinger on
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 4:06 AM, 12 34 <rubyforum(a)web.knobby.ws> wrote:
> Michael Fellinger wrote:
>>> If you want a beta tester I'm in.
>>
>> It's not very polished yet, but since I said I'd push today:
>> http://github.com/manveru/geonames
>
> OK, I'm a relative newbie. How do I use it? Just include the geonames.rb
> file? Please give a sample of how to call it.

There is an example for every method in the comments, i didn't finish
the docs for the last few ones, will try to do that today and write
some little intro for the readme.

> Should it be installed as a gem? If so how? I guess a bigger question is
> how does ruby sort out three gems named geonames? The last one
> installed? elecnix being the third.

It's possible, but not really nice to name the gem geonames. I'll find
some crazy name and rename it.