From: Mike H on
Hi,

I wouldn't let them anywhere near it because if you do it will end in tears!!

Lets say you 6 segment numbers are in column A. Protect that column so it
can't be altered. I think your number looks like this

123-456-789-986-654-321

Put this formula in (say) column C and drag down as required and once egain
ensure the column is protected.

=IF(B1="","",LEFT(A1,8)&B1&MID(A1,12,LEN(A1)))

Now let your people enter the new number in column B and you can apply data
validation to that column to ensure they input data of the correct length. As
soon as they populate column B then you get your new string in column C
--
Mike

question.