From: Stan Brown on

I've got my PC set to require passwords to be changed every 45 days.
I'd like to change that to every 30 days, but I can't remember where
to set it. I tried "User Accounts" in control panel, but that seems
to cover only very basic settings.

Can someone remind me, please: where do I tell Windows how often
users are required to change their passwords?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: Tim Meddick on

First, you will need administrator-level access rights to change the
password-reset time.

Open the Group Policy Editor (or type into the "Run" box) the following :

gpedit.msc

.....and press [ok]

Then, navigate to :

Local Computer Policy :- Computer Configuration :- Windows Settings :-
Security Settings :- Account Policies :- Password Policies

...and the item under this heading that you need is : "Maximum Password
Age"

If you set it to 0 [zero] the password will never require change nor ask
for it.

Otherwise, you may set it to anything between 1 and 999 [days]

*note* The "Maximum Password Age" has to be set to a greater number of
days than the "Minimum Password Age" setting under the same heading.

The default is 45 [days]

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Stan Brown on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:55:51 +0100, Tim Meddick wrote:

> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> >
> > Can someone remind me, please: where do I tell Windows how often
> > users are required to change their passwords?

> First, you will need administrator-level access rights to change the
> password-reset time.
>
> Open the Group Policy Editor (or type into the "Run" box) the following :
>
> gpedit.msc
>
> ....and press [ok]
>
> Then, navigate to :
>
> Local Computer Policy :- Computer Configuration :- Windows Settings :-
> Security Settings :- Account Policies :- Password Policies
[etc.]

Perfect -- thanks, Tim!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: Tim Meddick on
No problem... thankyou for re-posting that your problem was resolved.

So many don't bother, and it can be mildly frustrating.

==

From: Anteaus on

If a hacker has already had my password for 30 days I don't think changing
it would do a lot of good.

Therefore, what is the purpose of this? I can't see how it contributes to
security in any way. In fact it may reduce security, by forcing the use of
simple passwords.