From: Al Viro on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 05:24:18PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> This series reworks the filesystem shrinkers. We currently have a
> set of issues with the current filesystem shrinkers:
>
> 1. There is an dependency between dentry and inode cache
> shrinking that is only implicitly defined by the order of
> shrinker registration.
> 2. The shrinkers need to walk the superblock list and pin
> the superblock to avoid unmount races with the sb going
> away.
> 3. The dentry cache uses per-superblock LRUs and proportions
> reclaim between all the superblocks which means we are
> doing breadth based reclaim. This means we touch every
> superblock for every shrinker call, and may only reclaim
> a single dentry at a time from a given superblock.
> 4. The inode cache has a global LRU, so it has different
> reclaim patterns to the dentry cache, despite the fact
> that the dentry cache is generally the only thing that
> pins inodes in memory.
> 5. Filesystems need to register their own shrinkers for
> caches and can't co-ordinate them with the dentry and
> inode cache shrinkers.

NAK in that form; sb refcounting and iterators had been reworked for .34,
so at least it needs rediff on top of that. What's more, it's very
obviously broken wrt locking - you are unregistering a shrinker
from __put_super(). I.e. grab rwsem exclusively under a spinlock.

Essentially, you've turned dropping a _passive_ reference to superblock
(currently an operation safe in any context) into an operation allowed
only when no fs or vm locks are held by caller. Not going to work...
From: Dave Chinner on
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 02:30:05AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 05:24:18PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> >
> > This series reworks the filesystem shrinkers. We currently have a
> > set of issues with the current filesystem shrinkers:
> >
> > 1. There is an dependency between dentry and inode cache
> > shrinking that is only implicitly defined by the order of
> > shrinker registration.
> > 2. The shrinkers need to walk the superblock list and pin
> > the superblock to avoid unmount races with the sb going
> > away.
> > 3. The dentry cache uses per-superblock LRUs and proportions
> > reclaim between all the superblocks which means we are
> > doing breadth based reclaim. This means we touch every
> > superblock for every shrinker call, and may only reclaim
> > a single dentry at a time from a given superblock.
> > 4. The inode cache has a global LRU, so it has different
> > reclaim patterns to the dentry cache, despite the fact
> > that the dentry cache is generally the only thing that
> > pins inodes in memory.
> > 5. Filesystems need to register their own shrinkers for
> > caches and can't co-ordinate them with the dentry and
> > inode cache shrinkers.
>
> NAK in that form; sb refcounting and iterators had been reworked for .34,
> so at least it needs rediff on top of that.

The tree I based this on was 2.6.34-rc7 - is there new code in a
-next branch somewhere?

> What's more, it's very
> obviously broken wrt locking - you are unregistering a shrinker
> from __put_super(). I.e. grab rwsem exclusively under a spinlock.
> Essentially, you've turned dropping a _passive_ reference to superblock
> (currently an operation safe in any context) into an operation allowed
> only when no fs or vm locks are held by caller. Not going to work...

Yeah, I picked that up after I posted it. My bad - I'll look into how
I can rework that for the next iteration.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner