From: bitshifter on
Anybody has any idea about the percentage of user for each system ?

I've seen one number of 1% for Win 98 SE.
I don't think it can be that low but, hey...

I personally have Win 98 SE for basic compilation

Win NT 4.0

Win 2000

Win XP for general work

and Win Vista for testing.

Just to give an idea: I've had clients who had trouble installing on
Win 2000 when the compilation was not done on my Win 98.

I'll do my own research but I want your estimates, guy.

Thanks in advance.

From: C. Kevin Provance on

<bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
| Anybody has any idea about the percentage of user for each system ?
|
| I've seen one number of 1% for Win 98 SE.
| I don't think it can be that low but, hey...
|
| I personally have Win 98 SE for basic compilation
|
| Win NT 4.0
|
| Win 2000
|
| Win XP for general work
|
| and Win Vista for testing.
|
| Just to give an idea: I've had clients who had trouble installing on
| Win 2000 when the compilation was not done on my Win 98.
|
| I'll do my own research but I want your estimates, guy.
|
| Thanks in advance.

Not that it's truly a reliable method, but I study the visitor logs to my
web site which lists OS, browser, etc. Mt provider offers a nice interface
to break everything down into graphs, which shows what percentages use what
os, browser and so on.

Would you believe Win 3.x shows up a number of times? <g>

From: mayayana on

> Anybody has any idea about the percentage of user for each system ?

There's a recent chart here:
http://w3counter.com/globalstats.php?date=2009-12-31

But you have to keep in mind that general
stats count major commercial websites. They're
mainstream stats, which may not represent
the people using your software. My own site
gets mainly Windows scripters, system admin.
people, etc. I see mostly XP, with increasing Win7,
plus a smattering of 2000, 2003, Vista, Mac, Linux.

> I've seen one number of 1% for Win 98 SE.
> I don't think it can be that low but, hey...

At this point people using Win98 are either
very handy (there are a number of people in
the VBScript group) or they have a very old PC.
(Then there are the people who change their
userAgent for anonymity and/or security. I run
98 almost exclusively, with K-Meleon, but lately
I'm masquerading as XP with late-model Firefox.)

Product Activation is now about 10 years old,
so OS usage for the general public should be
nearly identical to PC sales figures. Everyone gets
stuck with whatever is on a PC when they buy it.
And they generally buy another PC (and a new
Windows license) when their PC gets too slow or
is overrun by malware. Microsoft has been very
successful in their efforts to link the software to
the hardware in public perception.

> Just to give an idea: I've had clients who had trouble installing on
> Win 2000 when the compilation was not done on my Win 98.

You should check on all files that you're shipping.
Any system files should ship with versions that pre-date
System File Protection (more recently known as Windows
File Protection). If you use the PDW you should
have those versions in the Redist folder. If you use
another installer you should ship the versions in the
Redist folder.

From: bitshifter on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:19:43 -0500, "mayayana"
<mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Anybody has any idea about the percentage of user for each system ?
>>

>There's a recent chart here:
>http://w3counter.com/globalstats.php?date=2009-12-31

Wow, that chart was a real eye-opener !

> But you have to keep in mind that general
>stats count major commercial websites. They're
>mainstream stats, which may not represent
>the people using your software. My own site
>gets mainly Windows scripters, system admin.
>people, etc. I see mostly XP, with increasing Win7,
>plus a smattering of 2000, 2003, Vista, Mac, Linux.

It still follows the trend.

>.... I run
>98 almost exclusively, with K-Meleon, but lately
>I'm masquerading as XP with late-model Firefox.)
>
> Product Activation is now about 10 years old,
>so OS usage for the general public should be
>nearly identical to PC sales figures.

Look for some dip when trying to go past XP.
Unless they ,the users, mask themselves too.

>... Microsoft has been very
>successful in their efforts to link the software to
>the hardware in public perception.

I just recycles my systems: I have all disks going way back...DOS
6.22, anyone ?

>> .... when the compilation was not done on my Win 98.

> You should check on all files that you're shipping.
>Any system files should ship with versions that pre-date
>System File Protection (more recently known as Windows
>File Protection). If you use the PDW you should
>have those versions in the Redist folder. If you use
>another installer you should ship the versions in the
>Redist folder.

I might just replace them in the cab file...or something...well, after
my old '98 SE dies, maybe.

Thanks for the feedback, all.