From: Corey Ashford on
On 03/07/2010 06:00 AM, Fabian Korak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to get the examples at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntelPerformanceTuning to run, however when I try
>
> perf record -f -g -e i915:i915_gem_request_wait_begin -c 1 openarena
>
> I get the message "invalid or unsupported event: 'i915:i915_gem_request_wait_begin' ". It also isn't listed within perf list.
> I'm currently on an up-to-date Fedora Core 14 rawhide with kernel 2.6.34-0.4.rc0.git2. Intel_gpu_tools and libdwarf is installed.
> I talked to a few guys on #xorg-devel yesterday and they told me to install kernel-debuginfo, which didn't change anything.
> They also told me to run
>
> nm /lib/modules/2.6.34-0.4.rc0.git2.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko | grep i915_gem
>
> the output of that can be found here: http://www.pastebin.org/102547
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thx Fabian Korak
> the body of a message to majordomo(a)vger.kernel.org

I find the example given on that web page quite confusing because perf
currently doesn't have support for arch-dependent events like that,
except via "raw code" events which use the syntax -e r<hex_code>.
I wonder if they locally modified perf to handle those events, and then
forgot that they had made that modification before posting up those
instructions.

I posted a patch last Wednesday that adds arch-dep symbolic event symbol
support which uses an external library (like libpfm4), but so far I
haven't received any feedback on it.

--
Regards,

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
cjashfor(a)us.ibm.com