From: Avi Kivity on
On 06/04/2010 12:57 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 15:39 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> On 06/01/2010 02:59 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>

>> I meant that viewing would be slowed down. It's an important part of
>> using ftrace!
>>
>> How long does the Python formatter take to process 100k or 1M events?
>>

> I finally got around to testing this.
>
> I ran a trace on lock_acquire, and traced 1,253,296 events.
>
> I then created a python plugin to analyze the trace:
>
> ----
> def lock_acquire(trace_seq, event):
> t = ''
> r = ''
> if int(event['flags'])& 1:
> t = 'try'
> if int(event['flags'])& 2:
> r = 'read'
> trace_seq.puts('t %x %s%s%s' % (
> event['lockdep_addr'], t, r,
> event['name']))
>
> def register(pevent):
> pevent.register_event_handler("lock", "lock_acquire", lock_acquire)
> ----
>
> Disclaimer, I'm not a python expert, and I'm sure the above python code
> sucks.

I think Python more or less guarantees your code will suck no matter
what you do.

> [root(a)ixf9 trace-cmd.git]# time ./trace-cmd report -N>/dev/null 2>&1
>
> real 0m4.653s
> user 0m4.234s
> sys 0m0.419s
>
> * -N keeps trace-cmd from loading any plugins.
>

> [root(a)ixf9 trace-cmd.git]# time PYTHONPATH=`pwd` ./trace-cmd report>/dev/null 2>&1
>
> real 0m53.916s
> user 0m53.047s
> sys 0m0.859s
>

> Yes, running a python interpreter is a bit more expensive. It took 4
> seconds to read the million events with plain C, but 53 seconds to read
> it in python.
>
> That said... This would only affect you if you were writing this to a
> file. I doubt that you would notice this if you were scanning the trace
> with less.

I'm more worried about searching with less. But a minute for a million
events isn't that bad.

> Also, I kicked this off in kernelshark, and it made no difference that I
> can see. This is because kernelshark only evaluates the viewable area of
> the screen.

Neat. Can it also search? Where can I find it? <googles, finds, gawks>

From: Steven Rostedt on
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 11:08 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:

> > Also, I kicked this off in kernelshark, and it made no difference that I
> > can see. This is because kernelshark only evaluates the viewable area of
> > the screen.
> >

> Neat. Can it also search? Where can I find it? <googles, finds, gawks>

It's in the same repo as trace-cmd:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git

I'm still working on it. The latest is in the branch kernelshark-devel.

And yes, it does searches.

-- Steve

From: Avi Kivity on
On 06/06/2010 06:02 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 11:08 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>

>>> Also, I kicked this off in kernelshark, and it made no difference that I
>>> can see. This is because kernelshark only evaluates the viewable area of
>>> the screen.
>>>

>> Neat. Can it also search? Where can I find it?<googles, finds, gawks>
>>

> It's in the same repo as trace-cmd:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git
>
> I'm still working on it. The latest is in the branch kernelshark-devel.
>
> And yes, it does searches.

I'll be tracking it.

In case you're interested in wishlists, my #1 would be to be able to
initiate traces from the GUI (so it's easy to explore the available
trace events and enable them interactively).