From: mecn on
Hi all,

We are planning to have transactional repllication for 8 tables(indexed-view
rep) and 30 tables regular transactional replication against a very
frequently used database.
My question is that 1. It's transactional replication hit a lot of
performance? 2 Could we use snap-shot replication to reduce the performance
issue.
3. Indexed-view really needs transactional replication?

Thanks,

From: Hilary Cotter on
1) that depends on your load and your hardware. However on some of the high
throughput systems I have worked on the performance hit is seldom above
10-15%. Note that replicating text has a more severe performance impact.
2) Yes, but then your latency is much greater and you have to send all your
data each time you run your snapshot - I think you will find that snapshot
replication is not a scalable solution when you only need to replicate the
changes.
3) No, you can replicated indexed views as schema only objects using
snapshot replication. However if you want to replicate an indexed view to a
table and replicate the changes you need snapshot replication.

--
Hilary Cotter
Director of Text Mining and Database Strategy

This posting is my own and doesn't necessarily represent RelevantNoise's
positions, strategies or opinions.

Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html

Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com

From: mecn on
Hilary,
It really helps us.Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.
Henry