From: John John - MVP on
C wrote:
> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

>>> The only way to permanently delete data off a hard disk is to destroy
>>> the hard disk. Give it a spin in your microwave; run over it with a semi
>>> truck; boil it in water; find a large magnet; hydrochloric acid is also
>>> good. I'm sure if you use your imagination, you can think of other ways
>>> to destroy a hard drive. Permanently delete data and not destroying the
>>> hard drive isn't possible with modern forensic techniques. That said,
>>> these modern forensic techniques don't come cheap so doing a complete
>>> format and reinstalling your operating system should be enough ;:)
>>
>> You are saying that writing some random pattern of bits in place of
>> the pattern of bits that represented a piece of music or an image will
>> still leave the original music or image accessible?
>>
>> I find that difficult to believe.
>>
>> Perce
>
> Trust me, forensic techniques can find anything.

Urban legends and fairy tales.

> Whether you believe it
> or not is irrelevant. Research it and you will change your beliefs.

Instead of us going on a wild goose chase for the nonexistent please
provide us with your research.

John
From: amber on

"dwn >" <dwn <dwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:53:10 +0200, "amber" <amber(a)nospam.microsoft.news>
wrote:

> >could someone recommend good utiluty to permanently erase files, i.e.
that
> >deletes the file, then wipes and removes the data left over.
> >
> >Thank you.
>
> Try erase at http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
>
> it's free and does a pretty job too. it also erase anything in the Recycle
Bin.
---------

thanks a lot. Has anybody tried Sure Delete program? its only 770kB
http://www.wizard-industries.com/sure-delete/

Just want to delete personal stuff permanently before leaving a working
computer. No to erase all hard drive(there is WipeDrive utility for this).

From: ctowers on
amber wrote:
> "dwn >" <dwn <dwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:53:10 +0200, "amber"
>> <amber(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote:
>>
>>> could someone recommend good utiluty to permanently erase files,
>>> i.e. that deletes the file, then wipes and removes the data left
>>> over.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> Try erase at http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
>>
>> it's free and does a pretty job too. it also erase anything in the
>> Recycle
> Bin.
> ---------
>
> thanks a lot. Has anybody tried Sure Delete program? its only 770kB
> http://www.wizard-industries.com/sure-delete/
>
> Just want to delete personal stuff permanently before leaving a
> working computer. No to erase all hard drive(there is WipeDrive
> utility for this).

Why pose a question, then ignore the replies?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Cleanup of computer
Next: oppening a directory