From: Doc Brian Doc on
I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to
learn... Let me explain:

I'm a surgical resident. I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient
census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that
print based on room number or service. Everything is setup as needed in the
local file. I've been working on the content of the database on and off for
a year. Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a
very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file.

Now, to complicate my issue. Here is the background:

The MDB file will be shared on a windows network - a shared folder. I don't
have the ability to set permissions for the shared folder - that is done by
the IT department. Essentially, the IT department would grant access to the
shared folder to each user where the local MDB will be located.

Computer access at the hospital is setup through CITRIX - each individual
user has a unique username/password to login to a virtual desktop. The
virtual computer has its own user based MY DOCUMENTS folder with shortcut to
network share (where the MDB is located).

There needs to be multiple users that need access to the MDB with the
ability to read - write - print - add new patients, update current patients,
etc. This leads to my challenge:

If one of the users (my interns) opens the access database and closed the
virtual desktop WITHOUT closing the MDB file - the file will be locked and
unable to be accessed by others for updating (unless the person with the open
file closed it).

CHALLENGE:
How can I create a superuser or admin account that can force the MDB file
closed no matter what user has it opened?

Unfortunately, my IT department is absolutely no help. Their abilities are
pretty limited to the flow charts for troubleshooting hospital EMR and
nothing really beyond that.

I hope I explained my challenge well. I think I need a superuser/admin type
setup for local MDB control - however - I'm not really sure if that is a
valid option or if there is better options...?

Thanks in advance!
-brian

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:40:01 -0800, Doc Brian <Doc
Brian(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Sharing an application is one of those REALLY BAD IDEAS. Rather you
should split your application in front-end (everything but tables, and
linked tables) and back-end (tables). Then give each user his own
front-end (e.g. in each user's MyDocuments. Check autofeupdater.com
for a handy tool to keep the FE at the latest version for each user.
The back-end goes in a network share accessible to all.

If you really needed to: you can auto-shutdown an application (in most
cases) using the technique presented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128814

Pretty amazing you are doing all of this while in your spare time :-)
you are trying to become a surgeon.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP