From: Eduardo on
mayayana escribi�:

> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that method. When you
> mentioned it before I thought you meant that you
> were shelling from command line. So far I've been
> avoiding asking for Admin rights. I try to make it
> so that people will have rights within my program
> folder, and I can keep my operations there. In some
> cases people will need Admin rights just to use the
> program functionality. But that's up to them.

I thought you were working in the installer.

You said something like "if I get an error when trying to do this, I'll
show a message telling them to try again but running as admin", or it's
what I understood.

But if you know that you will need admin rights at some stage (if it's
an installer), you could run as admin from the begining, always.
If it's running in a system without UAC, they won't notice anything, but
if it has UAC, then they will be pompted from the beginning.

But all that in the case of an installer, and if you know that you'll
have to do something that will require admin righs.

In the case of a normal program, there is the option of doing how I did
in my program, as I explained in other post.
Or you can say: start over, run as admin, and come here again. But
besides it's not the most friendly approach for the user, they might
ignore how to run a program as admin.

From: mayayana on

> But if you know that you will need admin rights at some stage (if it's
> an installer), you could run as admin from the begining, always.
> If it's running in a system without UAC, they won't notice anything, but
> if it has UAC, then they will be pompted from the beginning.

I've used the word "setup" in my installers,
which according to MS is supposed to signal
that the program is an installer and needs
admin rights. But I suppose your method is
a way to take the guesswork out of it. That
makes sense.

> In the case of a normal program, there is the option of doing how I did
> in my program, as I explained in other post.
> Or you can say: start over, run as admin, and come here again. But
> besides it's not the most friendly approach for the user, they might
> ignore how to run a program as admin.

It's a tough choice. I have an editor for
script and HTML that I've designed to work
fine as a normal user (once my installer
sets permissions on my subfolders). I don't
have a situation where I'll need admin rights
for the program itself. I've changed all that
for Vista.

But the person using the software might need
those rights if they're running scripts. On the
one hand it might make sense to ask for
admin rights, but that seems pushy. Some people
won't want or need to do that. So I prefer to
let them decide. Hopefully anyone writing scripts
to do operations in Windows will realize that they
need to either elevate or shut off the restrictions.

Unfortunately, while it's nice to try to be considerate
of the end-user, on the one hand, it also seems to
be the case that the vast majority of people are in
no position to make their own decisions, and wouldn't
want to be bothered even if they were. :)