From: John Keiser on
I have a 14 year old Technics SL-PG100 which has given good service. Just
lately, when I try to play a CD the player notes the number of tracks and
but is unable to start on track 1. Usually it will start if I skip to a
later track. It then plays fine and will cycle through track 1 on repeat.
These home-made CDs played fine a month ago. Bought CDs seem more relaible.

I opened the case and everything "looked" fine. No dust. Lens shiney. I
manually cleaned the lens [with a photo camera lens kit] but problems
persists.

Diode power fading? Other guess?

Is there a likely "simple" tweak that might fix this?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

From: Mark D. Zacharias on
I find lots of these types of problems are solved with routine maintenance -
cleaning, lubing the parts involved, etc. Specifically, I would lube the
shaft of the spindle motor, and clean and relube the sliding surfaces or
wormscrew. If it uses a wormscrew there may be a belt that needs changing -
but these haven't been used in about 15 years or so. Don't mess with any
adjustments - this would most likely compensate (poorly) for whatever is
really wrong. The only exception would be the focus offset adjustment, and
only then if you have a 'scope to observe the waveform.

Mark Z.

From: John Keiser on
Thanks. I don't have a 'scope but I'll try a conservative bit of lube and
see if it clears things.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Pages: 1