From: Dell Christopher on
Is anyone else having real problems getting rid of the "Personal Security"
spyware? I thought I had a good spyware removal method, but now I'm not so
sure anymore.

What I have been doing is running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, then a second
time in Normal Mode. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy. Furthermore, I
turn System Restore off, then back on. I remember reading that this will
erase restore points, specifically System Volume Information locations where
spyware/viruses might be also. I also have been using the free AVG Home
Edition, with scans scheduled for twice a week. Lastly, I use the cleaner
and registry features of CCleaner.

Once I feel confident that "Personal Security" is gone (i.e. multiple
reboots, Internet browsing for several minutes), it sometimes comes right
back the next day. I'm hopeful that I can get some input from those with
more expertise on some additional removal steps to take, or perhaps a better
program(s) to use. Perhaps I need to stop using IE and consider Firefox or
Chrome?

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

From: siljaline on
Dell Christopher wrote:
> Is anyone else having real problems getting rid of the "Personal Security"
> spyware? I thought I had a good spyware removal method, but now I'm not so
> sure anymore.
>
> What I have been doing is running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, then a second
> time in Normal Mode. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy. Furthermore, I
> turn System Restore off, then back on. I remember reading that this will
> erase restore points, specifically System Volume Information locations where
> spyware/viruses might be also. I also have been using the free AVG Home
> Edition, with scans scheduled for twice a week. Lastly, I use the cleaner
> and registry features of CCleaner.
>
> Once I feel confident that "Personal Security" is gone (i.e. multiple
> reboots, Internet browsing for several minutes), it sometimes comes right
> back the next day. I'm hopeful that I can get some input from those with
> more expertise on some additional removal steps to take, or perhaps a better
> program(s) to use. Perhaps I need to stop using IE and consider Firefox or
> Chrome?
>
> All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming this is the actual malware you are infected with, this is a guide to remove it.
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-personal-security>

Your best bet is to create an account at the above Forum, if you do not have one already
and seek expert assistance.

This NG doesn't support HJT Logs, etc.

HTH

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Smurf on
Dell Christopher wrote:
> Is anyone else having real problems getting rid of the "Personal
> Security" spyware? I thought I had a good spyware removal method,
> but now I'm not so sure anymore.
>
> What I have been doing is running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, then a
> second time in Normal Mode. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy.
> Furthermore, I turn System Restore off, then back on. I remember
> reading that this will erase restore points, specifically System
> Volume Information locations where spyware/viruses might be also. I
> also have been using the free AVG Home Edition, with scans scheduled
> for twice a week. Lastly, I use the cleaner and registry features of
> CCleaner.
> Once I feel confident that "Personal Security" is gone (i.e. multiple
> reboots, Internet browsing for several minutes), it sometimes comes
> right back the next day. I'm hopeful that I can get some input from
> those with more expertise on some additional removal steps to take,
> or perhaps a better program(s) to use. Perhaps I need to stop using
> IE and consider Firefox or Chrome?
>
> All input is appreciated. Thanks!

combofix might help pick up a secondary infection/rootkit that the others
are missing.