From: Andreas Beermann on

Hi Paul,
I just looked into various schematics from different hardware
revisions... seems details such as pullup resistors or capacitors vary
a lot over the different versions. Maybe you could first try to find
out which schematic fits to your hardware revision...
I was always looking into this one here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/c64/250469-rev.A-left.gif
but maybe you have anoter revision? In case yes, it would also be
worth to look at R28/29/30 maybe?

Would you be able to take some (good!) pictures of your board showing
both sides - esp. around the serial interface? Maybe we can spot the
problem on hte picture! I often do it this way when since I do not
have a microscope or magglass...

Andreas
From: Paul Förster on
Hi Andreas,

On 2009-11-10 13:25:46 +0100, Andreas Beermann <andreasbeermann(a)lycos.de> said:
> I just looked into various schematics from different hardware
> revisions... seems details such as pullup resistors or capacitors vary
> a lot over the different versions. Maybe you could first try to find
> out which schematic fits to your hardware revision...
> I was always looking into this one here:
> http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/c64/250469-rev.A-left.gif
but

> maybe you have anoter revision? In case yes, it would also be
> worth to look at R28/29/30 maybe?

.... here's the board's label:

PCB ASSY NO. 250469
PCB NO. 252311 REV.3

I took the same images (left and right), put them together in one image
and printed it in A3. So we both have the same schematics, I guess.

Where are you taking me with R28/29/30? I can't find them neither in
the schematics *nor* on the board. The highest resistor number I can
find on my test board is R19 next to the power switch. And on the board
in question it probably was the same. My test board shows line two from
the above as PCB NO. 252311 REV.4. But beside that, it looks exactly
the same.

> Would you be able to take some (good!) pictures of your board showing
> both sides - esp. around the serial interface? Maybe we can spot the
> problem on hte picture! I often do it this way when since I do not
> have a microscope or magglass...

.... I have a normal magnifying glass, magnifying factor 2 times. But
what I do not have is a macro optics for my camera and good lighting.
So you wouldn't probably see much on pictures. I can try if you want
but where can I send them? I don't have a place where I can upload them.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster(a)gmx.net

From: Paul Förster on
Hi Andreas,

On 2009-11-10 13:25:46 +0100, Andreas Beermann <andreasbeermann(a)lycos.de> said:
> but maybe you have anoter revision? In case yes, it would also be
> worth to look at R28/29/30 maybe?

.... ah, I see what you're getting at. There are no resistors R28, R29
and R30. There's only RP6 with 1k Ohm and RP3 with 3.3k Ohm. Also, my
boards do not have the U20 (556) chip. So the other schematics can be
ruled out by both the board/revision number as well as the parts shown
in the schematics.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster(a)gmx.net

From: Peter Schepers on
In article <7ltas8F3f7bp5U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Paul F�rster <paul.foerster(a)gmx.net> wrote:

So Paul, any updates to your findings?

I'm looking over the schematics again, wondering what else to look for.
Everything is going through U2 for the User port and serial port. Try
measuring the output at the serial port when attempting to load something,
just to see what shifts logic levels or changes.

Try measuring U2 pins 23, 2, 3 and 22. These seem to be some of the
control logic to enable the CIA, with 23, 2 and 3 being active low. They
should be high until you try to do something with the drive.

Peter S.
From: Peter Schepers on
Paul:

Forget what I wrote before, don't know what I was thinking.

Try measuring your serial port readings without and with a device
connected as follows:

Pin Upluggd Pluggd/off Pluggd/on
--------- ------- ---------- ---------
1 (SRQIN) High Float High
2 (GND) Low Low Low
3 (ATN) High Float High
4 (CLK) Low Low Low
5 (DATA) High High High
6 (RESET) High Float High

First column is no device plugged in the serial port on the C64. Second
column is drive plugged in, but off. Third is drive plugged in and on.

Note that pin 5 switches between high-low-high when a drive is powered up.
Float means the voltage is between 0 (GND) and 5 (Vcc). My logic probe
shows no reading, neither high nor low.

Now, check the 6526 U2 pins below:

Pin State
5 (ATN) Low
6 (CLK out) High
7 (Data out) Low
8 (Data In) Low
9 (Clk in) High

Once again, pin 9 switches between High-Low-High when a drive is powered
on.

Check pin 23 on U2 when issuing a load command, it should trigger
high/low/high as well.

PS.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8