From: Albert Ross on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 05:16:45 +1100, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>In article <eh74q55j5k7vimotjsn13ve52kubpggskv(a)4ax.com>,
> Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I started off with your gallery
>>
>> http://netweaver.com.au/alt/thumbnailGalleryWithShortCaptions/thumbLandscapeGa
>> llery7.html
>>
>> and tweaked it a bit
>>
>> http://www.combines.org.uk/Combines/gallery
>>

>OK, but this tweak goes against the spirit of the idea which is
>to be *really fluid*. I realise you are just testing and what you
>have is not so bad but, to make it clear, the idea is that with
>lots and lots of thumbs, every screen, no matter how big or
>small, - OK, let's rule out screens smaller than one thumb! <g> -
>will be used to the max. The floating (sans special widths to the
>container like you have inserted) ensure thumbs all the way
>across the browser and only when room runs out do the thumbs wrap.
>
>What you are missing is that the centring of the *whole block of
>thumbnails* is, as an extra non-crucial but very nice feature,
>dependent on a script that was made by another subscriber to this
>usenet group, BootNic. You can see the link to this script in the
>head. The link looks like:
>
><script src="bootnic7.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
>
>By just typing bootnic.js instead of thumbLandscapeGallery7.html
>in the above URL, you will see the text in your browser, you can
>copy and paste into a text editor page and save with the same
>name and put the text file on your server just like you have done
>with the external CSS which you have made.

Ah. light dawns! <G> with the name of pageturner I hadn't realised the
centrality of the script to the process. That's obviously why I can
get the floating OR the centring but not both . . .

Thanks to you both. I'll try

[1] reinserting the script

[2] playing with this one

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/gallery/

see if I can come up with a pure css gallery that works the same way

From: BootNic on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:39:46 +0000
Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/gallery/
>
> see if I can come up with a pure css gallery that works the same way

A inline-block example has already been done.

[url] http://bootnic.bounceme.net/TemporaryPages/inlineBlock.php [/url]

--
BootNic Fri Mar 19, 2010 06:49 pm
When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had

⁕ 115 days remaining
From: Albert Ross on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:49:53 -0400, BootNic <bootnic.bounce(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:39:46 +0000
>Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/gallery/
>>
>> see if I can come up with a pure css gallery that works the same way
>
>A inline-block example has already been done.
>
>[url] http://bootnic.bounceme.net/TemporaryPages/inlineBlock.php [/url]

ooh goody another one to play with!

Meanwhile I came up with this

http://www.combines.org.uk/Combines/gallery%202

works in all the browsers I've tried it with, it even makes a good
attempt to line up those not-the-same-size thumbs

Finns 10 Martians 9 <G>

Next job will be to upgrade Mr Corel's Draw and redo some of the
photos, the damn thing has broken itself again, it seems to hold the
settings I've used on one photo and reapply them to the next but only
at random. Some of the sharpening is so over the top I cut myself.

After that I'll try your example.

Thanks y'all!
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Albert Ross wrote:

> Next job will be to upgrade Mr Corel's Draw and redo some of the
> photos, the damn thing has broken itself again, it seems to hold the
> settings I've used on one photo and reapply them to the next but only
> at random. Some of the sharpening is so over the top I cut myself.

Which version? You know to stay away from *even* version numbers!

Anyway the remember last filter for Photo-PAINT lest worked reliably on
version 8-9, best way to do it now is to make a VB script.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Albert Ross on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:18:55 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Albert Ross wrote:
>
>> Next job will be to upgrade Mr Corel's Draw and redo some of the
>> photos, the damn thing has broken itself again, it seems to hold the
>> settings I've used on one photo and reapply them to the next but only
>> at random. Some of the sharpening is so over the top I cut myself.
>>

>Which version? You know to stay away from *even* version numbers!

Yes I *thought* they'd fixed that, this is X4. I was going to revert
to X3 which worked fine, but now X5 is out. All I need to do now is
find enough time to spring clean my office including doing a bunch of
hardware and software upgrades.

Strangely it seemed to be working OK until I installed an elderly
freebie version of Paint Shop Pro alongside it

<sigh>

>Anyway the remember last filter for Photo-PAINT lest worked reliably on
>version 8-9, best way to do it now is to make a VB script.

Actually I want it to NOT remember what I just did and reapply it!
Just like my previous versions didn't.

Going back to the gallery, I'm trying to do the exact opposite of this

http://www.stephendalton.co.uk/

brilliant photographer but the sort of presentation and code that
makes me go

"WHY???"

I'm currently feeling the same about Corel