From: RobertB on
On Aug 1, 10:36 am, joecommodore <la...(a)portcommodore.com> wrote:

> From what Robert said it was a hacked B&W TV...

Not just hacked but restored by Ray Carlsen. Ray gave me
the option of installing the exact greenscreen model to
replace the burnt-out one. However, the replacement CRT
was $280!!! Well, I like originality... but not that much
originality. ;) So for a far cheaper price, Ray put in a
black-and-white CRT for me. I like black-and-white
better than green anyway. And you can still hook in an
external color monitor.

Back in California for a few days,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
From: RobertB on
Goog has released his CommVEx photos. This is his
message --

Hi everyone,

CommVEx was sure fun, huh? I can't wait for next year!

Here's my photo gallery for CommVEx 2010. Hope the
photos are okay - feel free to pass on the link:

http://pdxcug.org/commvex/commodore_vegas_expo_commvex_v6_2010.asp

Goog

PDXCUG is Portland's Official Commodore Users Group
Serving the greater metropolitan area - Portland, OR USA
Meetings every 2nd Thursday of the month
http://www.pdxcug.org
From: Sam on
Hello Robert,

Next year we will meet at the Commodore show in The Netherlands !

I still don't understand the blue screen of the Educator 64..You said
that Ray put in a Black-and-White CRT ???

I have a CBM 8296-D who also has a burned-in screen. I've replaced it
with a CRT from a "donor" 8032.

Regards, SAM

From: joecommodore on
On Aug 4, 2:19 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Next year we will meet at the Commodore show in The Netherlands !
>
> I still don't understand the blue screen of the Educator 64..You said
> that Ray put in a Black-and-White CRT ???
>
> I have a CBM 8296-D who also has a burned-in screen. I've replaced it
> with a CRT from a "donor" 8032.
>
> Regards, SAM

The display in the educator 64 seems quite different than a PET/CBM
display (yeah, I got both types of computers computers), I think it
uses composite where the PET/CBM uses a ttl video input for one
thing. The educator is a bit lighter then the PET, I think in part to
the power supply and the monitor difference.
From: RobertB on
On Aug 4, 2:19 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:

> Next year we will meet at the Commodore show in The Netherlands !

Yes, I start looking for my airline tickets to Europe in
December or January. :)

> I still don't understand the blue screen of the Educator 64..You said
> that Ray put in a Black-and-White CRT ???

Yes, it's black-and-white or as Ray puts it, "grayscale".
Due to lighting conditions in the room and the limitations
of digital cameras, the picture that was posted gives
the screen a blue cast. An optical illusion!

> I have a CBM 8296-D who also has a burned-in screen. I've replaced it
> with a CRT from a "donor" 8032.

Ray considered putting in a greenscreen from a
PET but told me that the slow screen refreshes
(slow phosphors?) would not be good for C64
gaming. :)

Writing from Las Vegas again,