From: John Fields on
JB,

I posted the following a while back, but haven't seen a reply.

Maybe I missed it or maybe you missed my post?

"While I've got your attention: Maybe it's just me but, with no rancor
intended, something seems to be amiss with a couple of the the videos
on your website.

1. In the first video, DDW.MOV, According to the weathervane on the
truck, the blackbird is heading into the wind and, according to the
direction of rotation of its rotor and the pitch of its blades, that's
confirmed.

Now, since the vehicle is at a standing start, there's a headwind, and
there's not enough drag being generated to push it backwards,
(obviously) there's no torque from the wheels' axle to drive the
rotor, so the rotor _must_ be acting like a turbine and, through
gearing, transferring the torque the wind is generating on the rotor
shaft to the axle, which drives the wheels which push the vehicle into
the wind.

That's contrary to your contention that, for a downwind machine:

"the rotor does not provide the torque to turn the wheels (ever)."

So it seems that even though the video is titled: "DDW.MOV", it's not
really a downwind (wind at my back) machine, but an upwind (wind in my
face) one, right?

2. In "Record Day July 2-3 2010" the rotor turns in the same direction
as in "DWW.MOV", (CCW, looking at the driver head-on) except at the
end, where it's turning backwards.

Also, the streamer which shows the wind to be coming from the rear for
a couple of seconds at the beginning of the video is missing for the
rest of it.

??? :-)"

---
JF
From: John Doe on
John Fields <jfields austininstruments.com> wrote:

> JB,
>
> I posted the following a while back, but haven't seen a reply.
>
> Maybe I missed it or maybe you missed my post?

They do not do UseNet, Jiffy, they got to be "faster than the
wind" thread by searching on Google. You might be able to get
their attention in a new thread by putting "DDWFTTW" or "faster
than the wind" in the subject line.