From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>> Options would be 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 or 8,9,10,11,12 or 14? Do Access
>> folks, even those with no VBA skills understand that version 12 is really 2007? No,
>> I should allow for either of those to exist.
>>
>> Or should I put the version number in the StartMethod line?
>
>I think, if you are using 2000, 2002, etc, then 97 should be 1997 or
>perhaps check for the length of the year and allow the user to enter 00,
>02, 03, etc. This would maintain consistency.

>Personally, I would not use the 8, 9, 10...it isn't as "verbose" or
>description as the other method of noting the version. It's more of a
>"Microsoft developer at Microsoft" naming scheme, not a typical user's
>or developers way of descibing the Office version. If I want to buy
>Office, I might look for Office 2010, not Office 14.

Good point. Here in the newsgroups we almost always use 2000, 2003, 2007, etc. But
we do use 97 all by itself. So I think I'm going to stick with 97, 2000, 2002, 2003,
2007, 2010, etc.

Now I'm also thinking I should allow this to be a table in the AutoFEUPdater.INI
file. As I do some registry lookups with the 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, etc. This way you
could continue to use the AutoFEUpdater long after my death. Which is highly
unlikely at this poimt and I do have a succession plan anyhow as docmented on my
website. But I'm being somewhat silly on this one and am not going to implement this
one too soon.

>> Now the problem is what happens if
>> - some of the workstations have only the preferred version - which is fine
>> - others have two versions - which is fine
>> - but others have a different version - ????
>
>I might have a table or array of the versions in your code. If I
>entered 2003, then check for Office 2003. If that isn't avalble, check
>for Office 2007. If not available, then Office 2010. If no vernsion is
>matched, inform operator they need verson 2003 or greater. Does that
>make sense? IOW, if the user has a previous version to the one
>specified, it isn't allowed and that the expected version to use is 2003
>or that one can attempt to use but there might be errors. But if user
>has a version greater than the version specified in the INI file, then
>try that. I think that way, a newer version will be able to handle the
>features of the older version. But an older version might not.

Yup, that's what I was thinking too although you articulated it better than I did.

Now I could actually use that table or Enum as I'm starting to have some long Select
Case statements on the various versions when I need to do some registry keep lookups.
Seems that the Access product group didn't become real consistent in their registry
key naming standards until about 2000 or so. But they've become quite consistent
since then.

>> BTW I'm working on wizard functionality

An alpha copy of those screens is available as a hotfix if you want to play around
with it. Not yet code complete but just to get folks fo give me some feedback.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>I might have a table or array of the versions in your code. If I
>entered 2003, then check for Office 2003. If that isn't avalble, check
>for Office 2007. If not available, then Office 2010. If no vernsion is
>matched, inform operator they need verson 2003 or greater. Does that
>make sense?

Almost got it done. I'm going to use the following syntax:

StartMethod=PreferrredVersion-2003. So the program will start with A2003 and look
for Access 2003 or newer.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Salad on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

> Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
>

>>I might have a table or array of the versions in your code. If I
>>entered 2003, then check for Office 2003. If that isn't avalble, check
>>for Office 2007. If not available, then Office 2010. If no vernsion is
>>matched, inform operator they need verson 2003 or greater. Does that
>>make sense?
>

> Almost got it done. I'm going to use the following syntax:
>
> StartMethod=PreferrredVersion-2003. So the program will start with A2003 and look
> for Access 2003 or newer.
>
> Tony

So Cool.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>So Cool.

You're welcome.

BTW email me so I can promptly email you when the hot fix is ready.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>> Almost got it done. I'm going to use the following syntax:
>>
>> StartMethod=PreferrredVersion-2003. So the program will start with A2003 and look
>> for Access 2003 or newer.

Hot fix available for download.

Also to anyone else who is reading this please download it and play with the new
wizard logic and give me some feedback.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP