From: bnmohan via WindowsKB.com on
Windows XP Sp2 : WMP 9.00 on Lenovo S510 : 1364/768 display
Any .wmv file when opened shows the video as a very heavily pixellated
display :each pixel is 4mm by 4mm. The colour display also is something that
reminds me of the display with 16colour setting in old CRT monitors.

I am told this could be due to corrupted codecs. If so, how can I correct it?

Thanks

Mohan

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Support for WinXP SP2 ended on 13 July 2010. Computers running WinXP SP2
"will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update" [i.e., updates
released on & after 02 August 2010] until SP3 has been installed. Extended
Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

WMP FAQ - Playing music and video files:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/playing_files.mspx

From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:24:50 +0000, bnmohan via WindowsKB.com wrote:

> Windows XP Sp2 : WMP 9.00 on Lenovo S510 : 1364/768 display Any .wmv
> file when opened shows the video as a very heavily pixellated display
> :each pixel is 4mm by 4mm. The colour display also is something that
> reminds me of the display with 16colour setting in old CRT monitors.
>
> I am told this could be due to corrupted codecs. If so, how can I
> correct it?

Are you playing the files full screen? Sounds like it. More than likely
the resolution of these videos is much, much smaller than 1364x768.
Check the properties of the video, if possible, to see what the true
resolution is, and play it at that size.

Try the above before assuming it's a corrupted codec.

Stef
From: Alias on
On 08/11/2010 02:41 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?
>
> Support for WinXP SP2 ended on 13 July 2010. Computers running WinXP SP2
> "will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update" [i.e.,
> updates released on & after 02 August 2010] until SP3 has been
> installed. Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April
> 2014.
>
> • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

Hack:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9180478/Registry_hack_allows_Windows_XP_SP2_patching

--
Alias
From: bnmohan via WindowsKB.com on
No: The files are played asis: clicked on email attachments

Mohan