From: deepakc on
Hi,

Could someone please help me understand the difference between the
terms "Finite Set" and "Finite Field"?

I understand that "Finite Set" is a set with a finite number of
elements. I also understand roughly that a "Finite Field" is something
similar.

But I do not get the difference between them?

Please help.

Thanks,
-Deepak
From: Jym on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:38:42 +0100, deepakc <deepakc(a)pmail.ntu.edu.sg>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please help me understand the difference between the
> terms "Finite Set" and "Finite Field"?
>
> I understand that "Finite Set" is a set with a finite number of
> elements. I also understand roughly that a "Finite Field" is something
> similar.
>
> But I do not get the difference between them?

I guess the finite field is a field in addition to being a finite set...

A field is an algebraic structure while a set is just a collection of
objects.
A field is required to have two internal laws ("addition" and
"multiplication") with some properties on them (associativity,
commutativity, neutral element, distributivity).

For details, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
From: Kaz Kylheku on
On 2010-02-13, deepakc <deepakc(a)pmail.ntu.edu.sg> wrote:
> But I do not get the difference between them?

A set is an unordered collection of distinct objects. A set indicates
whether or not some element is its member.

A field is a tuple consisting of a set of elements, two binary
operations, and two special elements from the set. Furthermore, the
field must satisfy certain axioms.

So as you can see, the two are quite different even at the basic
structural level, since a tuple is ordered, whereas a set isn't.
From: deepakc on
On Feb 13, 5:29 pm, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-02-13, deepakc <deep...(a)pmail.ntu.edu.sg> wrote:
>
> > But I do not get the difference between them?
>
> A set is an unordered collection of distinct objects.  A set indicates
> whether or not some element is its member.
>
> A field is a tuple consisting of a set of elements, two binary
> operations, and two special elements from the set.  Furthermore, the
> field must satisfy certain axioms.
>
> So as you can see, the two are quite different even at the basic
> structural level, since a tuple is ordered, whereas a set isn't.

Hi Jym and Kaz,

Thanks for both your posts. That was very helpful.

-Deepak