From: Dolazy on
Hello,

I have some problems running the periodic tool from the Terminal
application (bash):

$sudo periodic daily
Error: Can't open display:

This reminded me of similar problems running X11 so I tried:

$export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
Warning: I18NOpenFile: Could not open file periodic.uid - MrmNOT_FOUND

Then I tried running the command from xterm:

$sudo periodic daily
$

And it works!

For some reason the command doesn't work on regular Terminal. Could
anyone shed some light on this please? I have searched the internet,
but all information was X11 related, while I want to use the regular
Terminal app.

Kind regards,

Francis

From: D P Schreber on
On 2007-02-09, Dolazy <francis.rammeloo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> $sudo periodic daily
> Error: Can't open display:

The problem is not 'periodic', it's one of the items you added to
/etc/periodic/daily. Looks to me like you put someting in there that
runs as an X11 client.

> $export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Wrong DISPLAY value in most circumstances. Ordinarily you would want
:0.0, not localhost:0:0. The first refers to default screen on the
default unix socket listener. The second refers to the default screen
on the default ip socket listener on localhost. For security reasons,
X11.app doesn't run an ip listener unless you go out of your way to tell
it to. That's why localhost:0.0 doesn't work.

> Then I tried running the command from xterm:
>
> $sudo periodic daily
> $
>
> And it works!

And if you do 'echo $DISPLAY' in that xterm it will say ":0.0".
From: Dolazy on
On 9 feb, 14:17, D P Schreber <schrebe...(a)rayban.net> wrote:
> On 2007-02-09,Dolazy<francis.ramme...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > $sudo periodic daily
> > Error: Can't open display:
>
> The problem is not 'periodic', it's one of the items you added to
> /etc/periodic/daily. Looks to me like you put someting in there that
> runs as an X11 client.
>
> > $export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>
> Wrong DISPLAY value in most circumstances. Ordinarily you would want
> :0.0, not localhost:0:0. The first refers to default screen on the
> default unix socket listener. The second refers to the default screen
> on the default ip socket listener on localhost. For security reasons,
> X11.app doesn't run an ip listener unless you go out of your way to tell
> it to. That's why localhost:0.0 doesn't work.
>
> > Then I tried running the command from xterm:
>
> > $sudo periodic daily
> > $
>
> > And it works!
>
> And if you do 'echo $DISPLAY' in that xterm it will say ":0.0".

Thanks. I was able to fix it now.
Apparently there was more than one periodic tool on my disk. Also I
discovered that there's an other profile file that I didn't know
about, namely /private/etc/profile. This file changed my path so that
one of the other periodic tools got executed. My system has become a
bit messy after installing X11, Fink, and other tools I forgot
about...

From: Dave Seaman on
On 12 Feb 2007 02:01:32 -0800, Dolazy wrote:
> On 9 feb, 14:17, D P Schreber <schrebe...(a)rayban.net> wrote:
>> On 2007-02-09,Dolazy<francis.ramme...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > $sudo periodic daily
>> > Error: Can't open display:
>>
>> The problem is not 'periodic', it's one of the items you added to
>> /etc/periodic/daily. Looks to me like you put someting in there that
>> runs as an X11 client.
>>
>> > $export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>>
>> Wrong DISPLAY value in most circumstances. Ordinarily you would want
>> :0.0, not localhost:0:0. The first refers to default screen on the
>> default unix socket listener. The second refers to the default screen
>> on the default ip socket listener on localhost. For security reasons,
>> X11.app doesn't run an ip listener unless you go out of your way to tell
>> it to. That's why localhost:0.0 doesn't work.
>>
>> > Then I tried running the command from xterm:
>>
>> > $sudo periodic daily
>> > $
>>
>> > And it works!
>>
>> And if you do 'echo $DISPLAY' in that xterm it will say ":0.0".

> Thanks. I was able to fix it now.
> Apparently there was more than one periodic tool on my disk. Also I
> discovered that there's an other profile file that I didn't know
> about, namely /private/etc/profile. This file changed my path so that
> one of the other periodic tools got executed. My system has become a
> bit messy after installing X11, Fink, and other tools I forgot
> about...

The one you should be using is /usr/sbin/periodic. That's the one that's
in your default PATH, as set by /etc/profile. By the way,
/private/etc/profile is the very same file as /etc/profile (not a copy of
the file, but the very same file, since /private/etc is a symbolic link
to /etc). It's not possible for it to set a different PATH.

--
Dave Seaman
U.S. Court of Appeals to review three issues
From: Dave Seaman on
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:01:58 +0000 (UTC), Dave Seaman wrote:

> The one you should be using is /usr/sbin/periodic. That's the one that's
> in your default PATH, as set by /etc/profile. By the way,
> /private/etc/profile is the very same file as /etc/profile (not a copy of
> the file, but the very same file, since /private/etc is a symbolic link
> to /etc). It's not possible for it to set a different PATH.

Actually, it's the other way around; /etc is a symbolic link to
/private/etc.