From: John on
Dear Group,

I'd like to give my websites a more 'professional' appearance using
css templates.

Here's an examples of how I'd like my site to look:

http://www.edwardmgonzalez.com/

I don't need flash presentations or anything fancy.

Main Questions:

1. Assuming I'm already experienced with basic html, is this something
I could program myself?
Or would it be better not to 'reinvent the wheel' -- and just to pay
someone?

2. Are there libraries of free templates around that I could easily
use?

3. Could someone suggest where one could find a basic stylesheet
(maybe with a layout similar to the example above) to practice and
learn with?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

John Uebersax
www.john-uebersax.com
From: Sherm Pendley on
John <jsuebersax(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to give my websites a more 'professional' appearance using
> css templates.
>
> Here's an examples of how I'd like my site to look:
>
> http://www.edwardmgonzalez.com/
>
> I don't need flash presentations or anything fancy.
>
> Main Questions:
>
> 1. Assuming I'm already experienced with basic html, is this something
> I could program myself?

Minor nit: It's not programming, it's markup. But whatever...

Technically, CSS isn't really any more difficult than plain HTML. In
some ways it actually simplifies the task. Having said that, having
the technical chops to *implement* a design does not necessarily imply
having the aesthetic chops to create one; they're entirely different
skills. With that in mind, I prefer to work with a skilled designer,
so that each of us can focus on what we do best.

> 2. Are there libraries of free templates around that I could easily
> use?
>
> 3. Could someone suggest where one could find a basic stylesheet
> (maybe with a layout similar to the example above) to practice and
> learn with?

I've heard good things about these sites, but they didn't yet exist
when I was a beginner, so I can't offer any first-hand advice about
them:

<http://www.alistapart.com/>
<http://www.csszengarden.com/>

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley <www.shermpendley.com>
<www.camelbones.org>
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
John wrote:

> I'd like to give my websites a more 'professional' appearance using
> css templates.

Why?

> Here's an examples of how I'd like my site to look:
>
> http://www.edwardmgonzalez.com/

Why? And I don't see much professionalism there.

> 2. Are there libraries of free templates around that I could easily
> use?

What makes you think free templates are professional-looking?

> www.john-uebersax.com

Contrary to what you wrote, you are not familiar with basic HTML. The page
contains several gross syntax errors, see
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.john-uebersax.com%2F
The style sheet has oddities too, like
color=black
which aren't proper CSS. But it's not hopeless at all, since you haven't
tried all too much.

What you mainly need is setting copy text font, since the common browser
default of Times New Roman isn't really suitable for on-screen use. Set
* { font-family: Arial, sans-serif; }
if you want to have a quick start without thinking. Then set the maximum
width, like
body { max-width: 50em; }

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: williamc on
On 8/4/2010 2:36 PM, John wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I'd like to give my websites a more 'professional' appearance using
> css templates.
>
> Here's an examples of how I'd like my site to look:
>
> http://www.edwardmgonzalez.com/
>
> I don't need flash presentations or anything fancy.
>
> Main Questions:
>
> 1. Assuming I'm already experienced with basic html, is this something
> I could program myself?
> Or would it be better not to 'reinvent the wheel' -- and just to pay
> someone?
>
> 2. Are there libraries of free templates around that I could easily
> use?
>
> 3. Could someone suggest where one could find a basic stylesheet
> (maybe with a layout similar to the example above) to practice and
> learn with?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> John Uebersax
> www.john-uebersax.com

It kind of depends on how much time you want to spend to get more solid
on HTML and to learn CSS. It takes a bit of an effort, but once you've
gotten the basics down, you'll possess a core skill that will be useful
in your other work.

When I wanted to upgrade my CSS knowledge I worked through several books
while creating a lab page/notes for each book. It was actually a very
enjoyable way to learn.

The books were CSS Mastery, Bulletproof CSS, The Art and Science of CSS,
and Handcrafted CSS. Prior to that I'd also read the Zeldman book
(Designing With Web Standards) which would be a good recommendation as well.

Plenty of good designers and templates around, too, if you decide to go
that route. Given your example, I thought you might like these templates...

http://andreasviklund.com/templates/

Good luck

--

--williamc
From: Jeff Thies on
On 8/4/2010 2:36 PM, John wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I'd like to give my websites a more 'professional' appearance using
> css templates.
>
> Here's an examples of how I'd like my site to look:
>
> http://www.edwardmgonzalez.com/
>
> I don't need flash presentations or anything fancy.
>
> Main Questions:
>
> 1. Assuming I'm already experienced with basic html, is this something
> I could program myself?

Maybe. Got some time?

> Or would it be better not to 'reinvent the wheel' -- and just to pay
> someone?

Not a bad plan.

> 2. Are there libraries of free templates around that I could easily
> use?

Lots of templates around. Unsure of the quality.

> 3. Could someone suggest where one could find a basic stylesheet
> (maybe with a layout similar to the example above) to practice and
> learn with?

Lots on the web. Google CSS 2 column. Here's one:

http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/developing_with_web_standards/csslayout/2-col/

Almost every website has the same format:

Header.

Possible top nav.

2 to 4 side by side columns.

Footer.

There's a few basics you'll need to learn about.

You'll need a basic understanding of the CSS box model and how to turn
on Standards mode by setting the right doc type.

Learning how to style lists can be very useful for navigation.

And then there are floats.

Lots on the web on all these, those are the bits that hang people up.
The link I posted covers all of those and looks reasonably competent.

The only other to watch for is IE. Until you get in the swing, you'll
need to check in every version of IE that you care about. If you write
clean html, except for "has layout" hacks, all the other browsers will
cooperate.

Jeff