From: gobnat on
Hi all

I am trying to release my first python program. I would like to be able to create a download which will automatically do stuff like add menu items (eg for KDE, GNOME and Windows). Is there anywhere which explains how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Brendan
From: Tim Golden on
On 19/05/2010 03:05, gobnat wrote:
> I am trying to release my first python program. I would like to be
> able to create a download which will automatically do stuff like add
> menu items (eg for KDE, GNOME and Windows). Is there anywhere which
> explains how to do this?

Speaking from the Windows perspective (although the same probably
applies elsewhere): this is the kind of thing which installer
generators handle for you. If you wrap your installer using
NSIS [1] or Wix [2] or whatever other installer-generator,
that will include options to add menu items. (Caveat: this
is informed hearsay; I've never actually used either of those
in earnest).

If you *want* to do it yourself then, on Windows, you basically want
to create folders and shortcuts within the user's Start Menu shell
folder. It's not too hard even from scratch; my winshell module might
help a little, too. [3]

TJG

[1] http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
[2] http://wix.sourceforge.net/