From: slither on
Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to design a 20kVA (11kV - 230V) pole mount
distribution transformer for a project. I'm having some difficulties
deciding which core material and winding materials to use for the design.

How do i know what type of cold rolled grain oriented steel to use in the
core and what thickness the laminations should be?

How do i know what the thickness and type (Aluminium,copper, round or
square) of my winding materials (primary and secondary) should be? Finally,
how much insulation should be placed between the winding layers?

Overall, i'm not really sure how to match my transformers application with
suitable materials.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Or references to catalogues would
be useful.

Thanks in advance
slither

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.Electronics-Related.com
From: John Fields on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 07:07:30 -0500, "slither"
<zxc981(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm currently trying to design a 20kVA (11kV - 230V) pole mount
>distribution transformer for a project. I'm having some difficulties
>deciding which core material and winding materials to use for the design.
>
>How do i know what type of cold rolled grain oriented steel to use in the
>core and what thickness the laminations should be?
>
>How do i know what the thickness and type (Aluminium,copper, round or
>square) of my winding materials (primary and secondary) should be? Finally,
>how much insulation should be placed between the winding layers?
>
>Overall, i'm not really sure how to match my transformers application with
>suitable materials.
>

>Any help would be very much appreciated. Or references to catalogues would
>be useful.

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbQjd_Oo4Q

From: George Herold on
On May 17, 8:07 am, "slither" <zxc981(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently trying to design a 20kVA (11kV - 230V) pole mount
> distribution transformer for a project. I'm having some difficulties
> deciding which core material and winding materials to use for the design.
>
> How do i know what type of cold rolled grain oriented steel to use in the
> core and what thickness the laminations should be?
>
> How do i know what the thickness and type (Aluminium,copper, round or
> square) of my winding materials (primary and secondary) should be? Finally,
> how much insulation should be placed between the winding layers?
>
> Overall, i'm not really sure how to match my transformers application with
> suitable materials.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated. Or references to catalogues would
> be useful.
>
> Thanks in advance
> slither
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Posted throughhttp://www.Electronics-Related.com

It sounds like something I'd try and buy from someone who knew what
they were doing. Why do you need to make it yourself?

George H.
From: Tim Wescott on
slither wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently trying to design a 20kVA (11kV - 230V) pole mount
> distribution transformer for a project. I'm having some difficulties
> deciding which core material and winding materials to use for the design.
>
> How do i know what type of cold rolled grain oriented steel to use in the
> core and what thickness the laminations should be?
>
> How do i know what the thickness and type (Aluminium,copper, round or
> square) of my winding materials (primary and secondary) should be? Finally,
> how much insulation should be placed between the winding layers?
>
> Overall, i'm not really sure how to match my transformers application with
> suitable materials.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated. Or references to catalogues would
> be useful.

Please tell me that this is a student project, and your design will
never hang on the pole outside my house!

And folks wonder why we need licensed engineers.

Start with a good Electric Machines text, like "Electric Machines:
Steady-State Theory and Dynamic Performance", M. S. Sarma, (C) William C
Brown, 1986. It goes into the trade-offs between iron, iron sizes,
wire, etc. Then get yourself a book that's _just_ about designing
heavy-iron transformers.

The get yourself about five to ten years of experience in industry,
helping to design these things, particularly in analyzing ones that have
come back to the factory after incidents. Once you've spent some
serious career time analyzing why the melt/burn/explode, then you'll be
ready to set out and design one.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Phil Allison on

"slither"
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently trying to design a 20kVA (11kV - 230V) pole mount
> distribution transformer for a project.

** Wrong newsgroup - pal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need: "alt. suicidal.lunatics "

.... Phil