From: Jeff Brooks on
topmind wrote:
> You are changing the subject.

He was responding to your question. Technically it means you changed the
subject.

Jeff Brooks
From: Jeff Brooks on
Jeff Brooks wrote:

> It appears you don't you understand what a fractal is.

Oops, that should say "It appears you don't understand what a fractal is."

Jeff Brooks
From: Phlip on
Jeff Brooks wrote:

> You can't remember what you posted and your calling me an idiot?!

Jeff, it looks to me like Topmind is being very successful.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand

From: Robert C. Martin on
On 12 Jun 2005 10:11:39 -0700, "topmind" <topmind(a)technologist.com>
wrote:

>Switch/case statements are more flexible.

For some thing, and not for others.

If you use switch statements then adding functions to existing data
structures is relatively easy. All you do is replicate the switch
statement in the new function, and fill in all the cases.

However, with switch statements, adding new data structures to
existing functions is hard. You have to find every existing switch
statement and add the new case.

If you use polymorphism then the reverse is true. Adding new data
structures to existing functions is easy. All you do is write the new
class, and all the existing functions polymorphically deploy to it.

However, with OO, adding new functions to existing data structures is
hard. You have to find every subclass and add a new method.

Sometimes you want to be able to add new functions to existing data
structures, and so you use a switch statement. Sometimes you want to
be able to add new data structures to existing functions, and so you
use polymorphism.

They are yin and yang, opposite and complementary. Using just one or
the other is imbalanced.

-----
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | email: unclebob(a)objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc. | blog: www.butunclebob.com
The Agile Transition Experts | web: www.objectmentor.com
800-338-6716

"The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom,
but to set a limit to infinite error."
-- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo
From: Robert C. Martin on
On 11 Jun 2005 21:26:55 -0700, "topmind" <topmind(a)technologist.com>
wrote:

>May I ask for the Dosage Tracking Example? A Google search only turns
>up bits and peices mixed in with other examples. Is it split into
>multiple articles?

Yes, it's part of my Craftsman column in Software Development
Magazine. You can read the originals here:

http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articleIndex

Click on the "craftsman" topic. The Dosage Tracking system begins at
#24.

Or, if you'd rather, you can read the SD reprints here:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/columnists/martin/

This is a more complete list than the one on my website. I always
wait three months before adding articles to my website. Start with
the article entitled "The Dosage Tracker". Then continue on from
there.

-----
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | email: unclebob(a)objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc. | blog: www.butunclebob.com
The Agile Transition Experts | web: www.objectmentor.com
800-338-6716

"The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom,
but to set a limit to infinite error."
-- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Next: Use Case Point Estimation