From: Paul A. on
Hello,

I have a simple, but very tricky, problem. I would like to fix it using
an array. But matix are possibly more appropriate (even if matrix can
not have 3 dimensional values, I think).

I would like to populate a table (of 2 or 3 dimensions), from a vector.

I think the best way to explain myself is to put some examples, with an
array such as:

>> # thanks to Rolf Pedersen's function (http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/208620)
>> table = make_array(3, 5)

And now, if the seeder vector is: [1, 0], the result should be:

=> [
=> [4, 3, 2, 1, 0],
=> [4, 3, 2, 1, 0],
=> [4, 3, 2, 1, 0]
=> ]

If the vector is: [-1, 0]

=> [
=> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4],
=> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4],
=> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]
=> ]

If the vector is: [-2, 0]

=> [
=> [0, 0, 1, 1, 2],
=> [0, 0, 1, 1, 2],
=> [0, 0, 1, 1, 2]
=> ]

If the vector is: [1, 1]

=> [
=> [2, 2, 2, 1, 0],
=> [1, 1, 1, 1, 0],
=> [0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
=> ]

If the vector is: [0, 1]

=> [
=> [2, 2, 2, 2, 2],
=> [1, 1, 1, 1, 1],
=> [0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
=> ]

Have you got a idea, or a plan? :s
Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

Best regards.

From: Rolf Pedersen on

Tip: Did you check out the Matrix and Vector classes in the Ruby Standard
Library?
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Matrix.html
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Vector.html

Best regards,
-Rolf

From: Paul A. on
Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> Tip: Did you check out the Matrix and Vector classes in the Ruby
> Standard
> Library?
> http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Matrix.html
> http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Vector.html
>
> Best regards,
> -Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Yes, but I really don't see how to process with. And matrix are limited
to 2 dimensional arrays. But even just for 2D, it's looks like tricky.
O_o

From: Colin Bartlett on
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Paul A. <cyril.staff(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I have a simple, but very tricky, problem.  I would like to fix it using
> an array.  But matix are possibly more appropriate (even if matrix can
> not have 3 dimensional values, I think). ..

I must confess that from your examples, I'm not at all sure how you
want to populate the "array" given the vector, so the following may
not be any help at all. But: if you want multidimensional numerical
arrays, then NArray might be useful.

http://narray.rubyforge.org
NArray is an Numerical N-dimensional Array class. Supported element
types are 1/2/4-byte Integer, single/double-precision Real/Complex,
and Ruby Object. This extension library incorporates fast calculation
and easy manipulation of large numerical arrays into the Ruby
language. NArray has features similar to NumPy, but NArray has vector
and matrix subclasses. ...

I haven't used it much myself, and I haven't used it recently. But I
did manage to install and use it without using gems, so if I can do it
that way it can't be all that difficult to install !

From: Masahiro TANAKA on
Hi,

Paul A. wrote:
> And now, if the seeder vector is: [1, 0], the result should be:
>
> => [
> => [4, 3, 2, 1, 0],
> => [4, 3, 2, 1, 0],
> => [4, 3, 2, 1, 0]
> => ]

I guessed your intention and wrote it using NArray:

require 'narray'

def populate( shape, v )
ndim = shape.size
max = shape.max