From: PW on
Hi,

We have a client complaining that every time they start up their MDE,
they are getting the "Unsafe Expressions" security warnings. And one
of them says that to block unsafe expressions, Jet 4.0 SP8 or later
must be installed. He said he has run Windows Update and that their
are no more updates.

Is it possible to suppress these messages?

Thanks,

-paulw
From: PW on
Nevermind. The guy had me confused. I "made" him click YES to block
unsafe expressions and the messages went away.

-pw

From: Rick Brandt on
PW wrote:

> Nevermind. The guy had me confused. I "made" him click YES to block
> unsafe expressions and the messages went away.

And that might very well make his apps not function.

I just tell users to change the macros - security setting to "low". No more
prompts and perfectly safe as long as they don't go around downloading
unknown Access files from the web and running them.
From: PW on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:59:13 -0600, Rick Brandt
<rickbrandt2(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>PW wrote:
>
>> Nevermind. The guy had me confused. I "made" him click YES to block
>> unsafe expressions and the messages went away.
>
>And that might very well make his apps not function.
>
>I just tell users to change the macros - security setting to "low". No more
>prompts and perfectly safe as long as they don't go around downloading
>unknown Access files from the web and running them.

Rick,

How would I do that when creating the MDE? Is it possible I could do
it on my end and ship our application with macro security set to low?

Some of our users do not have Access installed and I certainly don't
think they could handle opening up Access and setting the macro
security even if they did. I also found code on the Internet that can
be run to edit their registries but I don't want to go there!

And, I don't think they are running any other Access applications
besides ours.

Thanks,

-paul
From: Rick Brandt on
PW wrote:
> Rick,
>
> How would I do that when creating the MDE? Is it possible I could do
> it on my end and ship our application with macro security set to low?
>
> Some of our users do not have Access installed and I certainly don't
> think they could handle opening up Access and setting the macro
> security even if they did. I also found code on the Internet that can
> be run to edit their registries but I don't want to go there!

That is how you have to do it and that is what I do with my distributed
apps. The setting is for Access itself, not individual files.