From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:21:50PM +0100, Adrian P. van Bloois wrote:

> > postconf -n | grep procmail
> This gives no aanswer at all. I'm installing from the source

> With postconf |grep procmail I do get the right binary.

So someone too clever made "procmail" a default value for
"mailbox_command" when building the binary package.

Complain to the guilty party. This is not a default setting in the
postfix.org source release.

If you want to use procmail, make sure the executable is correct
for your system.

--
Viktor.

From: Wietse Venema on
Victor Duchovni:
> So someone too clever made "procmail" a default value for
> "mailbox_command" when building the binary package.
>
> Complain to the guilty party. This is not a default setting in the
> postfix.org source release.

Yes, please explain to the maintainer that it is
complicating support by changing built-in defaults.

Wietse

From: "Adrian P. van Bloois" on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:28:43PM -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:21:50PM +0100, Adrian P. van Bloois wrote:
>
> > > postconf -n | grep procmail
> > This gives no aanswer at all. I'm installing from the source
>
> > With postconf |grep procmail I do get the right binary.
>
> So someone too clever made "procmail" a default value for
> "mailbox_command" when building the binary package.
>
> Complain to the guilty party. This is not a default setting in the
> postfix.org source release.
HMM, I dont think that this is the problem. I personally configured
procmail in my main.cf. postconf gives that result postconf -m does not.
I have the source from a relaible site. ftp.cs.uu.nl, I know these guys,
I'm sure that's OK>

> If you want to use procmail, make sure the executable is correct
> for your system.
I use the CenntOS release, moreover, it has always worked perfectly, with
all previous releases of postfix, just 2.7.0 has a problem with it.

--
Adrian P. van Bloois
Postbus 2575 email: adrian(a)accu.uu.nl

The whole point of cooking is to get as much flavour out of the
ingredients as possible.
-- Delia SMith

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:56:59PM +0100, Adrian P. van Bloois wrote:

> > > This gives no aanswer at all. I'm installing from the source
> >
> > > With postconf |grep procmail I do get the right binary.
> >
> > So someone too clever made "procmail" a default value for
> > "mailbox_command" when building the binary package.
> >
> > Complain to the guilty party. This is not a default setting in the
> > postfix.org source release.
>
> HMM, I don't think that this is the problem. I personally configured
> procmail in my main.cf. postconf gives that result postconf -m does not.

Not "-m", rather "-n".

> > If you want to use procmail, make sure the executable is correct
> > for your system.
>
> I use the CenntOS release, moreover, it has always worked perfectly, with
> all previous releases of postfix, just 2.7.0 has a problem with it.

Well, Postfix just executes "procmail" via your shell (when mailbox_command
contains shell metacharacters). Don't blame the messenger. The error message
is from your shell, which clearly reports not being able to run the
/usr/bin/procmail executable. You really should take the time to find out
why the executable cannot be run by your shell and/or operating system,
if you want "procmail" to handle local mailbox delivery.

--
Viktor.

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com>:

> Well, Postfix just executes "procmail" via your shell (when mailbox_command
> contains shell metacharacters). Don't blame the messenger. The error message
> is from your shell, which clearly reports not being able to run the
> /usr/bin/procmail executable.

Maybe smrsh?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt