From: LuKreme on
What's the best choice with current 2.7 postfix for enabling greylisting? I am still using postgrey, but I don't think that really takes advantage of any of the new features in current postfix that would make greylisting more efficient.

--
"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."
Samuel Johnson

From: lst_hoe02 on
Zitat von LuKreme <kremels(a)kreme.com>:

> What's the best choice with current 2.7 postfix for enabling
> greylisting? I am still using postgrey, but I don't think that
> really takes advantage of any of the new features in current postfix
> that would make greylisting more efficient.

Just curious. What features do you mean as more efficient for greylisting?

Regards

Andreas

From: "Jack Raats" on
From: Stan Hoeppner on
Jack Raats put forth on 7/19/2010 1:39 AM:

> I'm using postgrey quite a long time but I think there are more efficient
> ways to block spam.

Totally agree.

> Running pflogsumm on maillog gives the following numbers
>
> Totally blocked 85
> Blocking countries (using client host name and helo): 7
> relay access denied: 45
> spamhaus: 8
> cannot find your hostname: 23
> greylisting: 2 (only blocked for 30 sec)

I run a small MX system, same as you, and get about the same results for
Postgrey. However, as with all the spam nets at our disposal, each in
isolated use will catch far more spam than when we combine them all. I do
super selective greylisting. In fact, Postgrey is my last restriction. It
blocks (or delays) less than 1% or so of my flow because I give it so little
chance to--by design. I use Postgrey as a safety net of sorts, to "catch the
one that got away", hopefully. Greylisting is/was designed to stop bot spam
exclusively. I've got a substantial FQrDNS checking regex that catches a ton
of bot spam, along with standard Postfix client checks, Spamhaus Zen and DBL,
and on rare occasions BRBL (which throws more lookup errors than actual
results--pretty close to kicking BRBL to the curb).

> Yes I'm blocking complete countries (using the domain name), because no one
> on my server expects to get mail form e.g. china (cn).
> If someone from China wants to mail me, he can use gmail, hotmail etc.....

Don't be ashamed or defensive. It's smart for small operations to country
block, along with many other blocking methods that larger OPs shun. I'm not
ashamed of it. I go a bit further than mere TLD blocking though. I use CIDR
tables populated with ipdeny.com country ranges, which is more precise than
TLD blocking. There are many .com, .org, .net, .info, etc domains in all
countries, which can't be rejected via TLD.

--
Stan