From: Jim Wright on
I'm setting up a new server completely from scratch on Snow Leopard,
Mac OS X 10.6.3, trying to compile Postfix 2.7. During make, I get
this:

In file included from dns_lookup.c:152:
dns.h:23:29: error: nameser8_compat.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [dns_lookup.o] Error 1
make: *** [update] Error 1

I haven't seen this come up on the list yet, so I wanted to report
this here. A google search found a suggested fix, in /src/util/
sys_defs.h, the following line should be commented out:

#define RESOLVE_H_NEEDS_NAMESER8_COMPAT_H

With this line commented out, I'm able to get a good build. My
question is, should I be worried about screwing something up having
this line commented out? I'm sure it's there for a reason. (grin)

Thanks.

From: Jim Wright on
On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:32 PM, Jim Wright wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server completely from scratch on Snow Leopard,
> Mac OS X 10.6.3, trying to compile Postfix 2.7. During make, I get
> this:
>
> In file included from dns_lookup.c:152:
> dns.h:23:29: error: nameser8_compat.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [dns_lookup.o] Error 1
> make: *** [update] Error 1
>

> I haven't seen this come up on the list yet, so I wanted to report
> this here. A google search found a suggested fix, in /src/util/
> sys_defs.h, the following line should be commented out:
>
> #define RESOLVE_H_NEEDS_NAMESER8_COMPAT_H
>
> With this line commented out, I'm able to get a good build. My
> question is, should I be worried about screwing something up having
> this line commented out? I'm sure it's there for a reason. (grin)

I've dug a bit more into this one. Mac OS X 10.6 no longer has an
include file named nameser8_compat.h. The equivalent file seems to be
arpa/nameser_compat.h. Updating the dns.h file (line 23) to include
this file instead results in a good build. It may be another day or
so before I'm able to put this server online to test.

From: Wietse Venema on
Jim Wright:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:32 PM, Jim Wright wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a new server completely from scratch on Snow Leopard,
> > Mac OS X 10.6.3, trying to compile Postfix 2.7. During make, I get
> > this:
> >
> > In file included from dns_lookup.c:152:
> > dns.h:23:29: error: nameser8_compat.h: No such file or directory
> > make: *** [dns_lookup.o] Error 1
> > make: *** [update] Error 1
> >

> > I haven't seen this come up on the list yet, so I wanted to report
> > this here. A google search found a suggested fix, in /src/util/
> > sys_defs.h, the following line should be commented out:
> >
> > #define RESOLVE_H_NEEDS_NAMESER8_COMPAT_H
> >
> > With this line commented out, I'm able to get a good build. My
> > question is, should I be worried about screwing something up having
> > this line commented out? I'm sure it's there for a reason. (grin)
>
> I've dug a bit more into this one. Mac OS X 10.6 no longer has an
> include file named nameser8_compat.h. The equivalent file seems to be
> arpa/nameser_compat.h. Updating the dns.h file (line 23) to include
> this file instead results in a good build. It may be another day or
> so before I'm able to put this server online to test.

What is the output from the following commands on this machine?

uname -s
uname -r
uname -v

I will use this to update the makedefs script, so that it can
distinguish between MacOS versions and pass the right information
to the C compiler. Simply uncommenting a line in <sys_defs.h>
would break Postfix on earlier MacOS versions.

Wietse

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:33:34AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> What is the output from the following commands on this machine?
>
> uname -s
> uname -r
> uname -v

$ ls /usr/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h
/usr/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h
$ uname -s
Darwin
$ uname -r
10.3.0
$ uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0: Fri Feb 26 11:58:09 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.3.12~1/RELEASE_I386

Snow Leopard (aka MacOS 10.6) is Darwin 10.X. I'm using 10.6.3, which
is Darwin 10.3.0. The major number in Darwin is 4 + the minor number in
MacOSX. The minor number in Darwin is the patch level in MacOSX.

--
Viktor.

From: Bradley Giesbrecht on

On Apr 14, 2010, at 6:33 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> What is the output from the following commands on this machine?
>
> uname -s
> uname -r
> uname -v

In case this is useful. From Leopard 10.5 not Snow Leopard 10.6.

$ ls -l /usr/include/arpa/nameser*
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 12 Mar 29 2009 /usr/include/arpa/
nameser.h -> ../nameser.h
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 20 Mar 29 2009 /usr/include/arpa/
nameser8_compat.h -> ../nameser8_compat.h
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 6650 Feb 19 2008 /usr/include/arpa/
nameser_compat.h
$ uname -s
Darwin
$ uname -r
9.8.0
$ uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009;
root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386
$ sw_vers -productName
Mac OS X
$ sw_vers -productVersion