From: Stan Hoeppner on
JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net put forth on 7/4/2010 9:53 PM:
> What is stupid is to be so opposed to anti spam tools that have no
> significant downside.

The problem is it has no significant upside either, which is why most sites
don't use it as an anti spam measure. Since spammers can simply create an SPF
record for their domains such this

"v=spf1 +all"

a simple "does it have an SPF record" check does nothing to stop the spam,
since the above SPF string says every internet address is allowed to send mail
on behalf of the domain. So you then must implement some script or code to
actually parse the SPF record in an effort to figure out if it's a spammer
domain or not. So you parse out "+all" and reject mail from domains having
that string. Then the botnet spammers do something sinisterly creative like this

"v=spf1 ip4:1.0.0.0/8 ip4:2.0.0.0/8 ip4:223.0.0.0/8 [...] -all"

which again allows every IP address to send on behalf of the spammer domain
but makes it pretty much impossible to parse and apply rules that firmly
identify it as a spammer domain. Spammers may use something similar but with
more clever CIDR notation that doesn't break SPF record length rules, etc.
I'm not a spammer and have never crafted such a string, but it is possible,
and some do it.

Now you are absolutely screwed, unless you want to waste the thousands of man
hours required to write code to parse these types of records and make an
_accurate_ "spammer domain" determination based on these complex SPF records.

You are obviously a newbie when it comes to SPF as a spam fighting tool, or
spam fighting in general, or you'd have already known these things. There are
far more effective anti-spam tools available that are much less error prone,
and require far less custom coding to make them work effectively. I've been
heavily involved in spam fighting for a few years now, and I've yet to hear of
an effective SPF based spam fighting tool. No seasoned SAs I've run into are
evangelizing SPF, but the opposite.

If you'd like to further your spam fighting eduction, I direct you to Google,
NANAE, and spam-l. For every one newbie proponent of SPF as an A/S tool,
you'll find 999 seasoned SAs who don't and won't use it as an A/S tool.
Amongst seasoned SAs you will find some that use the existence of an SPF
record for _scoring only_ in SpamAssassin, but that's about the extent of its
use as an A/S tool.

--
Stan

From: JunkYardMail1 on
What is your objection?

From: JunkYardMail1 on
Very aware spammers can create their own domains and and SPF records. They
can do essentially the same thing with any anti spam measures. And I have
see a number of them do just that, an SPF record of entire IPv4 address
space (0.0.0.0/0). But guess what, everyone of them has been in an RHSBL.
The fact it prevents them from using just any ol domain instead of their own
makes it extermely quick and easy for them to get detected and added into
the RHSBL's.

Requiring an SPF record to publish a domains authorized MTA's is very
effective.

From: "John R. Dennison" on
On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:31:03PM -0700, JunkYardMail1(a)Verizon.net wrote:
> What is your objection?

For the love of $deity *STOP* top-posting. Thank you.

You wanted an objection? There it is.

John

--
"Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies non-comformity; and
non-comformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyality -- so obviously
From: JunkYardMail1 on
That is what I thought. You really don't have an objection or case to back
it up so reveal your true nature by attacking with personal criticism
rather than sticking to the subject matter and making your case.