From: HardySpicer on
If I have two spectra of identical shape and hence the same area but
one is say 6dB lower than the other, what is the interpretation of
this? The areas are the same so the variance (ie average power) must
be the same in both. Of course the noise floor of one is lower than
the other but the signal is also lower in dB so the SNRs must be the
same too. The spectra are both band-limited via a bandpass filter.

Hardy
From: Rune Allnor on
On 20 Mai, 10:39, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have two spectra of identical shape and hence the same area but
> one is say 6dB lower than the other,

The description is nonsense. If the spectra have *both* the same
shape *and* the same area, they must be identical and there is
no way there can be a gain difference between them.

Describe what they *actually* look like and you might get help.

Rune
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

HardySpicer wrote:

> If I have two spectra of identical shape and hence the same area but
> one is say 6dB lower than the other, what is the interpretation of
> this?

The interpretation of this: you are cretin.

VLV
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 5/20/2010 1:39 AM, HardySpicer wrote:
> If I have two spectra of identical shape and hence the same area but
> one is say 6dB lower than the other, what is the interpretation of
> this? The areas are the same so the variance (ie average power) must
> be the same in both. Of course the noise floor of one is lower than
> the other but the signal is also lower in dB so the SNRs must be the
> same too. The spectra are both band-limited via a bandpass filter.
>

> Hardy

If one is 6dB lower than the other and are otherwise identical then they
clearly don't have the same area.

And if the noise is flat (which is usually is) then the SNRs should
differ by 6dB as well.

Something isn't making sense in your description.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: HardySpicer on
On May 21, 3:42 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> HardySpicer wrote:
> > If I have two spectra of identical shape and hence the same area but
> > one is say 6dB lower than the other, what is the interpretation of
> > this?
>
> The interpretation of this: you are cretin.
>
> VLV

Must be nightime - Vlad is up...