From: Ron on
I went away for all of last week and shut down my pc in the usual way
and also switched of the power at the mains as well. On my return
when I switched it back on, it starts up as soon as I turn the mains
on at the wall socket. The power pack starts, the fans on the power
pack, cpu and motherboard run, the keyboard and mouse light up, the
dvd/cd drives light up but it does nothing else. No beep, no hard
drives, no signal to the monitor, no response from the power button. I
also can’t shut it down at all other than by the mains on off switch.
I have removed every lead and plugin component from the motherboard,
including the bios battery, and one by one reconnected each trying to
power up each time but I just get the same thing.

I seem to be getting power to the motherboard Gigabyte GA-81PE1000
with P4 3.0Ghz proccessor as the fans on the board run but I am now
out of ideas.
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Ron" <ron6a(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I went away for all of last week and shut down my pc in the usual way
> and also switched of the power at the mains as well. On my return
> when I switched it back on, it starts up as soon as I turn the mains
> on at the wall socket. The power pack starts, the fans on the power
> pack, cpu and motherboard run, the keyboard and mouse light up, the
> dvd/cd drives light up but it does nothing else. No beep, no hard
> drives, no signal to the monitor, no response from the power button. I
> also can�t shut it down at all other than by the mains on off switch.
> I have removed every lead and plugin component from the motherboard,
> including the bios battery, and one by one reconnected each trying to
> power up each time but I just get the same thing.
>
> I seem to be getting power to the motherboard Gigabyte GA-81PE1000
> with P4 3.0Ghz proccessor as the fans on the board run but I am now
> out of ideas.

Everything you report points towards a hardware issue. You do not even
mention the word "Windows". The experts in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware might be best qualified to provide
advice.

From: Lem on
Ron wrote:
> I went away for all of last week and shut down my pc in the usual way
> and also switched of the power at the mains as well. On my return
> when I switched it back on, it starts up as soon as I turn the mains
> on at the wall socket. The power pack starts, the fans on the power
> pack, cpu and motherboard run, the keyboard and mouse light up, the
> dvd/cd drives light up but it does nothing else. No beep, no hard
> drives, no signal to the monitor, no response from the power button. I
> also can�t shut it down at all other than by the mains on off switch.
> I have removed every lead and plugin component from the motherboard,
> including the bios battery, and one by one reconnected each trying to
> power up each time but I just get the same thing.
>
> I seem to be getting power to the motherboard Gigabyte GA-81PE1000
> with P4 3.0Ghz proccessor as the fans on the board run but I am now
> out of ideas.

Is there any evidence elsewhere in the house of there having been an
electrical problem, e.g., clocks not at the right time, appliances
needing to be reset, etc.?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Don Phillipson on
"Ron" <ron6a(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
<< I went away for all of last week and shut down my pc in the usual way
and also switched of the power at the mains as well. On my return
when I switched it back on, it starts up as soon as I turn the mains
on at the wall socket. The power pack starts, the fans on the power
pack, cpu and motherboard run, the keyboard and mouse light up, the
dvd/cd drives light up but it does nothing else. No beep, no hard
drives, no signal to the monitor, no response from the power button. I
also can�t shut it down at all other than by the mains on off switch.
I have removed every lead and plugin component from the motherboard,
including the bios battery, and one by one reconnected each trying to
power up each time but I just get the same thing.>>

In your place I would take the RAM chips to a PC shop
that can test them reliably. A single bad RAM unit can
have effects like this.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs