From: awasthi on
Hi,
I have a fundamental doubt regarding bit-loading. I was trying to
simulate VDSL2 system in matlab. (Issue is also applicable to ADSL2+
standard..... might be applicable to others).

Fact#1) Bit-loading algorithms assume that the "energy of subcarrier"
increases monotonically with information (i.e. as number of bits increase)
....... if the distance-between-constellation-points is fixed (4,16,64-QAM
have same "d"), each incremental bit requires double energy than the
increment).

Conclusion from Fact#1:
Thus, as QAM size increases (due to bit-addition) .......average energy
must increase.

FYI: for example Cioffi book, chapter#4 (
http://www.stanford.edu/group/cioffi/book/chap4.pdf ) .....I'm using
Levin-Campello algorithm.

Fact#2) VDSL and ADSL standards ......are however a bit confusing.
They seem to indicate that average energy of all QAM constellations is same
(so incremental bits would be added with no additional energy).

Reference: VDSL2 standard ......section 10.3.4 ( Link:
http://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.asp?lang=e&id=T-REC-G.993.2-200602-I!!PDF-E&type=items
)

NOTE: Standards do provide an option of gain, gi (for each sub-carrier)
...... but it's only for minor margin adjustment.

From: awasthi on
Anyone ?

Do all QAM-constellations in DSL have same average energy ? If, yes
.....then how do they perform bit-loading ?