From: Erland Sommarskog on
Dan (news(a)worldofspack.com) writes:
> Think I'll give up on this. Most of the groups I use regularly have no
> corresponding group in the new system. For instance, SQL Replication and
> Fulltext.

There is a forum for replication:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreplication/threads

There is a forum for SQL Server Search, which I assume includes
fulltext:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsearch/threads
(The last post is from Hilary Cotter, which is a good indication
that fulltext is covered there.)

I can also see these forums in the Newsgroups list from the NNTP
bridge. (Which I don't use much, since it does not produce messages
in text/plain format.)

> There's also no sign of any older technology groups such as ADO

The forum SQL Server Data Access lists ADO as covered. As for ASP
and VB6, I don't what Microsoft has to offer.

> Oh, and to top it off, somehow MS have managed to attach one of my
> Windows Live accounts to someone else's "Online Community" profile, so I
> can log in but I'll be posting with the details of another person.

I think you can edit your profile.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Dan on

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel(a)sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Dan (news(a)worldofspack.com) writes:
>> Think I'll give up on this. Most of the groups I use regularly have no
>> corresponding group in the new system. For instance, SQL Replication and
>> Fulltext.
>
> There is a forum for replication:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreplication/threads
>
> There is a forum for SQL Server Search, which I assume includes
> fulltext:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsearch/threads
> (The last post is from Hilary Cotter, which is a good indication
> that fulltext is covered there.)
>
> I can also see these forums in the Newsgroups list from the NNTP
> bridge. (Which I don't use much, since it does not produce messages
> in text/plain format.)

Odd, they didn't appear in NNTP Bridge for me on Friday. Looking at the NNTP
Bridge forum I see that it's a flakey piece of software at best.

>> There's also no sign of any older technology groups such as ADO
>
> The forum SQL Server Data Access lists ADO as covered. As for ASP
> and VB6, I don't what Microsoft has to offer.

Given that they consider the technology outdated, I'd guess at zip.
Unfortunately for me ASP and VB6 is the bulk of my ongoing application
development and support and my wage earner.

>> Oh, and to top it off, somehow MS have managed to attach one of my
>> Windows Live accounts to someone else's "Online Community" profile, so I
>> can log in but I'll be posting with the details of another person.
>
> I think you can edit your profile.

My work WL ID is really really old (from back even before they were called
..NET Passport ID) - I set it up back when MS needed it for me to get access
to the MS Press Connections site for pre-release and sales info. If I login
on the forum site I have the Create a Profile link at the upper right, but
this takes me to the profile page for DanCr (which is my MSDN profile ID)
but that's for someone else entirely on social.msdn, and the Edit My Profile
link is missing. I haven't found a way to disassociate my WL ID with the
MSDN profile DanCr, because even at the MSDN site where the Create a Profile
link is replaced with DanCr, clicking it just takes me back to the
social.msdn profile page for DanCr which is read-only as it's not my profile

Repeated emails to MS have resulted in nothing. As I said, at least I can
use my personal WL ID to access the forums.

--
Dan