From: nmm1 on
In article <6df5dfef-38ad-475d-9ca4-7193d575779b(a)w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
viper-2 <agt(a)codeartnow.com> wrote:

>> >Some of you might find this reassuring:
>>
>> >http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2010/7/95060-the-ideal-hpc-programming-...
>>
>> <snip>=A0His paper stands, but the preferred
>> language would not be Fortran-like - perhaps Python-like.
>
>For those of us who have chosen to invest the time to learn modern
>Fortran before other languages it is, indeed, reassuring.:-)
>
>I'm not sure that an interpreted language like Python could compete
>with Fortran in HPC. Python's ease of use is a great selling point,
>but I suspect therein lie a few drawbacks.

That is correct, but I was referring to the style and not the detail.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: e p chandler on
> "viper-2" wrote
>> "e p chandler" wrote
>> I only write "toy" Fortran programs,

> What exactly do you mean by "toy" programs?

Small programs that teach me some new feature of the language or are in
response to a question posed in this newsgroup or in e-mail. At the office
it's 99% adding machine and 1% Excel. At home I'll occasionally write a
small program to explore a numerical method.

--- e

From: viper-2 on
On Jul 13, 5:50 pm, "e p chandler" <e...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> > "viper-2" wrote
> >> "e p chandler" wrote
> >> I only write "toy" Fortran programs,
> > What exactly do you mean by "toy" programs?
>
> Small programs that teach me some new feature of the language or are in
> response to a question posed in this newsgroup or in e-mail. At the office
> it's 99% adding machine and 1% Excel. At home I'll occasionally write a
> small program to explore a numerical method.
>
> --- e

Sounds like you need a new job - one that requires you to play with
your toys. That way you'd be writing meaningful code for the real
world while having fun. I've always found programming pure fun myself,
so I have tremendous difficulty understanding why private companies,
universities, and government employ programmers who gripe on the job
(apparently the majority), when they could obviously do so much
better!:-)

lol

agt

--
Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!

Code Art Now
http://codeartnow.com
Email: agt(a)codeartnow.com
From: Gib Bogle on
viper-2 wrote:
> On Jul 13, 5:50 pm, "e p chandler" <e...(a)juno.com> wrote:
>>> "viper-2" wrote
>>> What exactly do you mean by "toy" programs?
>> Small programs that teach me some new feature of the language or are in
>> response to a question posed in this newsgroup or in e-mail. At the office
>> it's 99% adding machine and 1% Excel. At home I'll occasionally write a
>> small program to explore a numerical method.
>>
>> --- e
>
> Sounds like you need a new job - one that requires you to play with
> your toys. That way you'd be writing meaningful code for the real
> world while having fun. I've always found programming pure fun myself,
> so I have tremendous difficulty understanding why private companies,
> universities, and government employ programmers who gripe on the job
> (apparently the majority), when they could obviously do so much
> better!:-)

I was telling someone a couple of days ago that developing code is the enjoyable
part of my job. I'm sure that for many (most?) of the population it would be a
terrible chore, which gets me thinking about what kind of mind and/or
personality is it that enjoys coding? The pleasure of putting a program
together is similar to the pleasure that comes from solving a mathematical
problem (the kind that has an answer), but there is an additional element of
creativity. It's also often a solitary pleasure (uh-oh) because in many cases
nobody else sees what has been built.