From: Peter Marshall on
Is there a file or folder of files on WinXP that defines the PC's printer
definitions and Scheduled Tasks. If so, it would be much easier to
replicate these to a new PC or back them up for safety.

--

Peter Marshall
Manager Information Services

From: pip22 on

What do you mean by "printer definitions" - I've never heard of those
and I've been a PC user/builder for over 10 years?

From: Jose on
On Feb 23, 9:37 am, "Peter Marshall"
<peter.marsh...(a)ohiocoatingscompany.com> wrote:
> Is there a file or folder of files on WinXP that defines the PC's printer
> definitions and Scheduled Tasks.  If so, it would be much easier to
> replicate these to a new PC or back them up for safety.
>
> --
>
> Peter Marshall
> Manager Information Services
> Ohio Coatings Company

I don't know about printer definitions, but scheduled tasks can be
backed up and copied and are generally here:

c:\windows\tasks

You can certainly back them up and copy them for safety or even copy
them to another computer, but the tasks will only run on the new
computer if the task credentials (user and password) and all the
permissions are exactly the same between the computers.

Copying the task might save some time, but the task might need
tweaking in the credentials areas to get it to run...

That will usually generate the "oh yeah..." moment later, so think
about it now.
From: Peter Marshall on
Thank you, Jose! That's exactly what I was looking for. I have a PC
dedicated to doing scheduled tasks 24/7, and if it would crash, recreating
those tasks would be a real pain. In this case, I don't think the
credentials would be a problem.

From: Peter Marshall on
I am hoping that when you create a new printer definition (Add Printer) on a
PC that a printer definition file would be created and could be
copied/archived.