From: Clark Smith on
I have recently installed Slackware 13.1 on my box, and the HP
Device Manager can see neither of my two printers: A USB one directly
connected to my box, and another USB one connected to some other Linux
box in the same network. However, both printers are correctly configured
in CUPS, and both of them work perfectly in the sense that I can print
stuff to either of them from my box.

The printers are HP printers and were detected by the HP Device
Manager under Slackware 12.0, the version I was running up till recently.
I guess I must be missing something, but I don't know what it might be.
Any ideas?

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Clark Smith wrote:
> I have recently installed Slackware 13.1 on my box, and the HP
> Device Manager can see neither of my two printers: A USB one directly
> connected to my box, and another USB one connected to some other Linux
> box in the same network. However, both printers are correctly configured
> in CUPS, and both of them work perfectly in the sense that I can print
> stuff to either of them from my box.
>
> The printers are HP printers and were detected by the HP Device
> Manager under Slackware 12.0, the version I was running up till recently.
> I guess I must be missing something, but I don't know what it might be.
> Any ideas?

that's HP software for you. Wont release the source, so unless you
strike lucky with te distro it was compiled against, all bets are off.

My HP scanner was a casualty of my 64 bit upgrade. No 64 bit driver
available. 32 bit didn't work, as it was a library..not a binary executable.

From: marrgol on
On 2010-07-06 23:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> The printers are HP printers and were detected by the HP Device
>> Manager under Slackware 12.0, the version I was running up till recently.
>> I guess I must be missing something, but I don't know what it might be.
>> Any ideas?
>>

> that's HP software for you. Wont release the source, so unless you
> strike lucky with te distro it was compiled against, all bets are off.

Irrelevant here and misleading - HPLIP _is_ open source.

--
mrg

From: marrgol on
On 2010-07-06 22:40, Clark Smith wrote:
> I have recently installed Slackware 13.1 on my box, and the HP
> Device Manager can see neither of my two printers: A USB one directly
> connected to my box, and another USB one connected to some other Linux
> box in the same network. However, both printers are correctly configured
> in CUPS, and both of them work perfectly in the sense that I can print
> stuff to either of them from my box.

I'd try removing them from cups and setup again using HP Device Manager
- worked for me, on different distro though...

--
mrg