From: Jeff on
hi

asp.net 3.5

Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
the database when 404 code is triggered?

any suggestions?

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Feb 23, 7:37 pm, "Jeff" <it_consulta...(a)hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote:
> hi
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
> the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
> haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
> them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
> errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
> the database when 404 code is triggered?
>
> any suggestions?

Webalizer doesn't show such details. You can try to analize referrers
section, maybe there is a link on other website which leads to 404. I
would recommend to use another statistics tool, Webalizer is really
bad and basic. If you can't change it (e.g. because of shared
hosting), setup a page for 404 error and log from where you get
requests there.
From: Mr. Arnold on
Jeff wrote:
> hi
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> Webalizer reports response code 404 about 939 times, that is about 40% of
> the requests. But I have problem finding these 404 errors myself. So far I
> haven't come accross them myself... So I was looking for a way to detect
> them. You know about a link which I could use to validate my site for 404
> errors. Or maybe I should create some asp.net code which writes the url to
> the database when 404 code is triggered?
>
> any suggestions?

Why don't you look at the IIS logs?
From: Jeff on
Why don't you look at the IIS logs?

can I access the IIS logs from a shared hosting solution? This is IIS6 by
the way

From: Jani J�rvinen [MVP] on
Hello Jeff,

> Can I access the IIS logs from a shared hosting solution?

Some hosting providers do provide access to IIS logs -- I suggest that you
check with your provider. You usually must log in to their control panel,
and from there, you can find the logs if they are available. Sometimes, they
zip the logs for you on a daily/weekly basis.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,

Jani J�rvinen