From: Prisec on
I've created the test db on another MySQL server at another hoster provider
changed the DSN and the result is the same: it writes the string into that db
with p and q instead of the spec chars. I'm a bit confused now.

From: Pekka on
character_set_database: latin1

That's wrong. That means that all databases (and tables, fields etc under it)
are told to store data encoded with latin1/iso-8859-1.

If you can, run this to display the charset of the table in question: SHOW
CREATE TABLE YOUR_TABLE_NAME_HERE;

The digg guys ran into a similar problem:

http://blog.digg.com/?p=53

From: Prisec on
Some new info about the advancements in my project:

I've tried to make the insertion at a third hosting provider's MySQL server
with my 'everything is UTF-8' test case and IT'S DONE! There are my lovely spec
chars :-)

Then I've checked the char encoding according -Per's tip in all of my so far
used test MySQL dbs and it reported that 'CHARSET=utf8
COLLATE=utf8_hungarian_ci' so this part seems to me OK.

I asked my hosting provider where my production app should run about the db
driver and they told it's JDBC (what version of Jconnect still donno') and they
are ready to append &characterSetResults=UTF-8 to the JDBC url connection
string (somebody told this tip also as a possible soultion) but they asked me
to provide the complete connection string to be used for my datasource. I've
tried to compose it in my localhost development environment in ColdFusion Admin
but it gave me a Connection verification failed error. So I think I did
something wrong and need help to write the correct connection string that can
be passed to the hosting provider. So the connection string structure I tried
to use in the JDBC URL field of the datasource area of CFAdmin is something
like this: jdbc:mysql://someipaddresshere/mydbname&characterSetResults=UTF-8
How can it be corrected?

Thanks, Aron

From: Pekka on
We're using connector/j 3.1.6 and doesn't need any special params in the
connection string for utf-8 to work.

Depending on your driver version, you maybe want to try utf8 instead of utf-8:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=9206

From: Pekka on
And its:

jdbc:mysql://someipaddresshere/mydbname?characterSetResults=UTF8

NOT

jdbc:mysql://someipaddresshere/mydbname&characterSetResults=UTF8