From: davidlondon1963 on
I'm using an Acer 4501 WLMi laptop (just 3-4 months old) running XP Pro SP2
and am having problems with Microsoft .NET Framework. The following is a
chronological list of what I've tried. Any suggestions for a fix would be
greatly appreciated.

(If it is of any relevance, I've also had problems with (a) getting Defrag
to complete and (b) disabling my internal wireless network adapter an error
mesage reads ""Error Disabling Connection" and reads "It is not possible to
disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more
protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by
another user or the system account".)

I have been unable to successfully install the High Priority Windows Update
KB886903 (Update for Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 SP1). I have
followed all the steps suggested by MS Tech Support but they did not work. I
therefore, through Add/Remove Programs, removed XP SP2 then reinstalled it
after first running "cleanmgr" and running error checking. This did not
resolve the problem. All the other Windows Updates (I downloaded and
installed all SP2 updates) installed successfully, not this one.

Next, I ran a third party application which uninstalls programs and found,
in the list of programs which it displayed, 2 entries which both read
"Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1." Both entries showed the "Uninstaller
Location" as msiexec.exe /X {CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1} When I
tried to uninstall each one, I got an error message headed "Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1" which read "Error 1316. A network error occurred while
attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\netfx.msi

I then tried to manually download and install the .net critical update from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8EC6FB8A-29EB-49CF-9DBC-1A0DC2273FF9&displaylang=en
but when I tried to run the downloaded file, I got a .NET Framework
Initialization Error which said "To run this application, you must first
install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v1.1.4322.
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the
appropriate version of the .NET Framework"

I was informed that v.1.1.4322 is the version number for .net 1.1 SP1 so I
tried to download and install it from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en
but in trying that, I received the same error message as before when I tried
to run the downloaded file.

Next, I was advised as follows:
"To determine which major version of the .NET Framework you have installed,
use the following method:
" If the %windir%\Microsoft.net\Framework\v1.0.3705 folder contains more
than four files, the .NET Framework 1.0 is installed. The .NET Framework 1.0
is not installed if the folder only contains the following files:
" Installutil.exe.config
" Mscormmc.cfg
" Mscormmc.dll
" Regsvcs.exe.rtm.config
" If the %windir%\Microsoft.net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder exists, the .NET
Framework 1.1 is installed.
Note Both directories can exist.

Note To determine which service pack is installed, use the following method:
" If the version of the
%windir%\Microsoft.net\Framework\v1.0.3705\Sscorwrks.dll file is earlier than
1.0.3705.6000, the .NET Framework 1.0 SP2 is installed.
" If the version of the
%windir%\Microsoft.net\Framework\v1.1.4322\Sscorwrks.dll file is earlier than
1.1.4322.2000, the .NET Framework 1.1 is installed. "

I couldn't find the folder or any of the files mentioned above. For example,
when I looked in Windows Explorer at the folder C:\WINDOWS, there was no sub
folder called Microsoft.net. I also ran Start --> Search and looked for the
file names and nothing came up even where I included hidden and system files
in an All Files and Folders search of My Computer or Local Hard Drives C: or
Acer C:

As a result of this, it was suggested to me that it appeared that I did not
have .NET installed at all so I took the download at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d7158dee-a83f-4e21-b05a-009d06457787&DisplayLang=en

That too failed. I got as far, having downloaded it to My Documents, to
running the downloaded dotnetfx file. It started then stopped with an error
message headed "Microsoft .NET Framework (English Setup)" which read "Error
1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly "Microsoft
Vsa.VbCodeDOMProcessor,Version="7.0.3300.0",PublicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",Culture="neutral". Please refer to Help and Su..."

I then went to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308096 for help. That
MS page tells you to stop the Windows Installer service. I went into Services
and Windows Installer was already stopped. I started it, ran the Dotnetfx
file again and got an error message headed "Microsoft .NET Framework
(English) Setup" which read "Internal error 2908.
{C702B474-1598-4778-8E6A-87A05B37F0BB} so I stopped the service, tried again
and got an error message which read "Internal error 2908.
{F7B1ACC6-3906-4BC0-B2C7-D42F192C8C17} then another, "Internal error 2908.
{2B6E7D21-976B-48BE-ACD7-6CF2C51B3EC1} followed by the original Error 1935
message (again).

Please help me!!!

Thank you.

--