From: Bob F on
Am running Mathematica on Mac OS X system and I had installed it into
the folder

/Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica 7.0.1.app

But this caused a problem with trying to do something with
LinkSnooper, so I tried to just rename it to:

/Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica_7.0.1.app

but now I get an error during startup that says

Mathematica was unable to open the file
/Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica 7.0.1.app/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/
TextResources/Macintosh/UnicodeLanguageFontMapping.tr

So apparently there is some place in Mathematica that remembers where
the app was originally installed rather than "learn" it from wherever
it is currently running from.

Any suggestions how to fix this?? Have noticed no other problems due
to this simple change of name so far.

Thanks...

-Bob

From: Patrick Scheibe on
Hi,

let me guess. You clicked on the Mathematica-symbol in the
dock?

How about just drag it into the desktop (and with that remove it
from the dock) and then go to Applications and drag the Mathematica_7.0.1.app
into the dock?

If that doesn't work, can you specify when you click on what exactly? I have
renamed my Mathematica directory here too and it works.

Cheers
Patrick

From: Bob F on
On Aug 12, 3:30 am, Bob F <deepyog...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Am running Mathematica on Mac OS X system and I had installed it into
> the folder
>
> /Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica 7.0.1.app
>
> But this caused a problem with trying to do something with
> LinkSnooper, so I tried to just rename it to:
>
> /Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica_7.0.1.app
>
> but now I get an error during startup that says
>
> Mathematica was unable to open the file
> /Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica 7.0.1.app/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/
> TextResources/Macintosh/UnicodeLanguageFontMapping.tr
>
> So apparently there is some place in Mathematica that remembers where
> the app was originally installed rather than "learn" it from wherever
> it is currently running from.
>
> Any suggestions how to fix this?? Have noticed no other problems due
> to this simple change of name so far.
>
> Thanks...
>
> -Bob

Several people answered this question and wanted to thank them all.
The solution has to do with removing the "cache" folder Mathematica
uses. On a Mac all I had to do was remove the folder:

~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/7.0 Caches

Thanks everyone for the help. Greatly appreciated.

-Bob

From: Nate Dudenhoeffer on
Bob,

I am not sure if there is a way to change the saved installation directory,
but you should be able to change it each time Mathematica starts by editing
the sysinit.m file.

I have not tested this, but I think this should accomplish what you want.

Right click on Mathematica.app and click "View package contents"
>From there navigate to the folder: SystemFiles/Kernel/SystemResources/
Select the folded relevant to your system.

Open sysinit.m in a text editor (it would be a good idea to make a backup
first)

On a new line just after "Begin[ "System`Private`"]" set the
$installationDirectory variable.
For example:
$InstallationDirectory="/Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica_7.0.1.app"

I hope this helps. Maybe someone else can offer you a solution which would
seem like less of a "work-around"

Regards,
Nate