From: Eon Blue on
I recently installed a 2003 server to take over AD and DNS duties from
a 2000 server that is being decomissioned. They've been running side by
side with no problems for awhile. However I noticed yesterday that AD
changes are not being replicated which sent me on this wild goose chase
to track down the problem. Here's what I've found out so far:

The 2003 server is pulling changes to the AD from the 2000 server, but
the 2000 server is not pulling changes from the 2003 server. When I go
to AD Sites and NTDS and choose Replicate Now it doesn't work. If I do
it on the 2003 side I get "The RPC server could not be found". If I do
it on the 2000 side I get "The naming context is in the process of
being removed....".

The 2003 server is not creating the SRV records in DNS. It's pointing
to itself for dns resolution. When I try to run netdiag or dcdiag to
check DNS it says it can't find an authoritative server. It says this
on both the 2000 and 2003 servers. I can use nslookup to resolve the
server name to the correct ip successfully from both machines.

The most troubling error I get in the event log on the 2003 server is
in DNS id 4015 "DNS server encountered a critical error from AD.
Extended error is UNABLE_TO_PROCEED".

I sucessfully transfered Operations Master and PDC roles from the 2000
server to the 2003 server. Now when I check the operations master on
the 2000 server it has ERROR for the server name. On the 2003 server it
looks fine.

I'm lost on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From: Brandon McGarvey on
Was the domain already 2003 or is this the first 2003 domain controller?
There are many pre-installation steps and checks you must follow before
upgrading Active Directory to 2003. Did you perform all of these steps? There
is a good guide available from Microsoft for upgrading your domain to 2003.
Also, I assume you have not changed the forest/domain levels. You should be
running in 2000 mixed. If the 2003 DC has not registered kerberos/ldap
records in DNS, you will definetly have a problem with everything else, like
replication. You need to figure out what is wrong with DNS.

From: Eon Blue on
Thanks for the reply. This is the first 2003 domain controller. The
domain level right now is 2000 native. I did go through the
pre-installation steps, ran the domainprep and forestprep. Everything
seemed to be working fine. I have been making changes to the AD solely
on the 2000 server, so it was replicating to the 2003 server without
any problems. I didn't notice it until I started adding accounts on the
2003 server and they weren't copying over to the 2000 server.

I don't know what's going on with DNS. I can query DNS on the 2003
server just fine, but I get the authoritative error when running
netdiag. When I check the netlogon.dns file all the entries are there
for kerberos/ldap but they are not registering on the dns server. I do
have dynamic updates on for all the DNS zones.

From: Brandon McGarvey on
Well, to try narrow down where the root of the problem is, you can try adding
the kerberos and ldap records for the 2003 DC manually in DNS and see if
replication works. Just add the _kerberos, _ldap, and _kpasswd TCP SRV
records in the _tcp container and add the _kerberos and _kpasswd UDP records
in the _udp container. You may also need to add these records into the _msdcs
container as well. I don't think you will need to worry about adding the
records to any _sites containers for now. Of course, you will want all the
proper records registered eventually so that your client computers locate the
services properly.

Again, I suggest this just as a test to help narrow down your issue. The
domain controller should add these records itself when Net Logon starts (or
if you restart it), but since they aren't, maunally adding records in DNS
will tell us if replication will work if DNS is fixed..

From: Paul Bergson on
check to see if the netlogon share is shared, \\server name\NETLOGON -or-
check to see if the Netlogon services is running.

If this isn't working, replication can't be working. Your dc isn't
operational.